Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought it for only 400$ while it was being rebuilt, it sat there for 4 years, and i finished the job and it wont start, has new gaskets for everything, new timing belt, checked the timing,, when i crank it, all it does is spin, no back fire or nothing, if i spray quick start into the throttle body it runs for a couple seconds, so the timing is right and it has spark, so i think its fuel related. When i turn the key to on i don't hear the fuel pump, am i supposed to hear it? The tank was full of junk and i drained it, but never inspected the pump and filter, so is that my problem? I'm new to the supra world so any help or advice is appreciated THx for reading

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Change your fuel filter and put some fresh gas in there...also you are suppose to hear the fuel pump if you listen carefully....also make sure your spark plugs are rightly gapped and also the cables and coil pack are good

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I had already put fresh gas in it, the plugs are brand new and i gaped them all, also i checked the ignition cables and they are all like new, no rust or corrosion in them at all, tomarrow i will drop the tank and get a fuel filter and test the pump thx, the pump and filter is above the tank right?

·
Registered
894 Posts
yea well i had/have that same prob wit my n/a auto but dnt get frustrated and rip the lines like i did.... lol but yea chek ur filter and i would change the pump also jst so u kno thats one less thing u have to worry bout goin out wen u n a parkin lot and wonderin y its not statn again. but gud luck

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
check for the obvious first: codes, mice, grounds, cps install in that order.
you should be able to check for fuel real easy, disconnect it at the throttle body and have someone crank it while you see how fast it fills a coke bottle. that will also show you how clean it is
sounds like cps to me, double check that, install is kind of tricky

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
So you are trying to get it running after it sat for four years? I'd check the fuel system first. The fact that if you spray starting fluid it will run alittle leads me to this conclusion. You are supposed to be able to hear the fuel pump though some are harder to hear than other. Open the hatch and under the wood peice there's a little access hatch. Take that off and you should be able to hear it thwn.

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
You won't hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key to the on position. You have to crank first for the relays to kick on then once running the AFM takes over. I had the same problem and the pump was dead, it was gummed up beyond repair inside.

Check for power at the relay and resistor located on the passenger side strut tower, then trace it back untill you find where power is lost. You can start also at the connector at the sending unti cover located in the hatch. If you have power there, more than likely the pump is bad. Simple fix, I did mine in about 2 hours by myself (lots of lolly gag time too lol). Also make sure your injectors are firing. ut your volt meter and see what your readings are.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx

This will be yor best friend.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for your help, i dropped the tank the pump worked perfectly, i put a new fuel filter, and still the same, i had the timing set 180 degrees off:loser:, still wouldn't start, it would only spark when i stop trying to start, so when im cranking there's no spark but as soon as i put the key back to on it sparks, so is that my ignition switch that's bad? does thins normally go bad on surpas??

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
umm no i wont sell it for 401$ lol , jus the rims are worth more than that, but the pump is good i tested it and its fine, new fuel filter, but i threw in gas down the throttle body and it ran for a couple secs, tested the injectors according to the testing i did from www.cygnusx1.net and there is electricity going to the injectors using a voltage meter. I think its the fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup check every singe fuse, brand new battery i got yesterday, but i know it works because i dropped the tank and tested the pump externally and it pumps and i had electricity going to the pump connected also there is a way to turn on the fuel pump using the diagnostics connector and you can here the fuel flowing through the rail and out the pressure regulator

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as of right now i got spark, i ran it for a couple seconds by spraying gas into the throttle body, it isn't getting any gas on its own, i don't know if its the injectors or if there is not enough pressure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts