Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a sight or some kind of walk through(pics would be great) of how to install my after market intercooler. I bought it off a guy and he....long story, but anyway I don't have a manual and its a custom intercooler. I have all the hardpipes and fittings and everything. I just need someone to help me put this jigsaw puzzle together. Im working with an 87 turbo. I'd really appreciate any help. Also if somebody needs more info from me, let me know. Thanks!!!!

Cobra

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
if its a custom 1 off peice your going to have to more than likely just do some trial and error.

best bet would be to really post some pics up and let us look at the ic and pipes and maybe we can go from there.

each intercooler kit (hks, greddy, etc) follows the same basic path that im betting a custom one would track pretty close to. pics would help alot

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
hmm...looks kinda like a 1jz intercooler...maybe modified?
anyway..looks interesting..i cant quite figure it out in my head just looking at it...But the pipe with the BOV goes from the throttle body to what looks like the Fender...and maybe the peice with the funky bend goes thru the fender and the other one goed to the turbo outlet.
I mean, theres not many peices there...so best thing to do would be, put the intercooler on and then just mess with the 3 peices you have...i mean, theres only a couple ways they could go so it wouldnt be that hard to figure out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I got the IC from another late 80's supra turbo with a 7mgte. I was thinking the same thing, as far as trying and seeing what happens, but I was hoping there might be like some kind of 'universal IC install walk thru'. As you said, its not that many pieces, so I figure you can only put it together so many ways.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
im thinkin that the bov pipe is the 3000 replacement and that really funky pipe is off the turbo. but im not too sure really.

some of those pipes look really odd man. ask the seller how it went together is gonna be the best bet. most pipe kits are several peices and you have 3?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i have 3 peices for my custom intercooler pipes...:)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
damn nice IC... looks like a spearco core with custom endtanks with the stock piping arangement

you're gonan have to pull the bumper to get that one in though, as the pipe through the fender is all one piece...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Poodles. Hmm, you really think Im gonna have to pull the bumper? I was there when the guy I got it from took it off his supra to give to me, and although he had to go through some acrobatics, it pretty much slipped out after t was all loosened and disconnected. It may be different putting it together as opposed to pulling it apart though.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
removing the bumper will make it easier to piece it together and line everything up...

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i got it figured out. its easy.
that pipe with the funky bend goes from the intercooler Up thru the headlight, the one with the BOV is the 3000pipe replacement and of course the other one goes from the intercooler to the turbo. same as what mine does.
But that pipe that goes to the turbo looks strange but Hey! if it works no problem.
and the intercooler might be a stock replacement so might as well try that before you pull the bumper off.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
well, it's that pipe that goes through the fender or snorkel hole that's the main issue he's gonna have.

if he has to remove an old 89+ fender pipe it's MUCH MUCH easier with the bumper off unless you don't car and just bend the sheetmetal around the hole...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts