Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to access the circuit boards holding the instrument panel light bulbs. Can anyone provide instructions on how to get to them?

Background: I had one bulb out on the lower row of buttons controlling the air flow direction. I took off the instrument panel cover but could not get off the plastic boxes surrounding either the lower or upper circuit panels. Here's what I did.

NOTE: The locations of clips and screws are described looking at instrument panel cover face down. I saw and loosened five clips on the lower box; two on each of the long lateral "sides" of the box (that is to say, the top and bottom of the lower box when the instrument panel is in place) and one clip on the short perpendicular left hand side of the lower(that is to say, the side that would be nearest the center of the car when the panel is in place). I also removed three (I think) small brass screws on the "top" of the box (the "back when the panel is in place). The box wouldn't release. So, thinking the lower box may somehow be connected to the top box, I removed the only other screw I saw on this box from what would be the "top" with the panel in place. Neither box came loose. I put back all screws and snapped all clips. Now none of the backlights for either these two rows of buttons work.

What do I do?

Dale Talbert 94 TT BPU

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dale,

You're talking about your heating/ventilation controls right? I replaced all the bulbs in this unit. It took some time and patience though. I did this two years ago so I don't remember all of it. I talked to Jeff Watson (great guy) about my lights and he looked at the schematic. He said there were five bulbs in there. I ordered all five and then proceeded to take the unit apart.

Once you get all the screws off I think I had to pry apart one of the boxes. It was held together with clips. Take your time and look at the seams. Once you get the cover off I seem to remember two layered circuit boards. You'll have to pry them apart and then there were some more screws which held the circuit board to the body. Once you get the last board out you will see the bulbs. When you put it back make sure the pins all line up and the boards fit together properly. Also make sure you connect the right connectors back when you get it in the dash.

Good luck!

Bin

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bin,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am talking about the buttons which control air direction, AC, and fan. I didn't realize that once I got to the circuit boards, I'd still have a lot of detail work to do. I thought I'd just be able to wire up the bulbs.

But, I can't even get to the bulbs! Even though all five of the clips were loosened and the screws were taken out, I still couldn't get the box off the circuit boards. I hate to pull at it even more because I think what I already did may have caused the wires wrapped around the other bulbs in the first row to pull loose. I'm hoping someone who has done this recently will be able to tell me where I'm going wrong so that I don't break anything.

Dale

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
First remove all of the "brass"colored screws you can see from the back side.

On the "black" box you can see [2] "cut outs" showing thru the sides of the black cover.They are TAN in color.This is one circuit board.Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to release the tabs on the board so that you can pull the box off.Once the box is off you can see the other bulbs.It's ok to unplug the three wire harness to make this easier once the black cover is off.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
if you could post some pics while your doing this and of the final product i'm sure you can help us save some time and trouble for all those that are attempting to do this =)

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all the great posts, I have a couple burnouts in the dash to take care of.

Pictures would be great if anyone can get them, if not I may try to get some myself when I do the job. My camera sucks for closeups but I'll do what I can

Rob_O

M

·
0 Posts
If someone makes a walkthough with pictures be sure to give it to the people at mkiv.com (part #s would be nice for the walkthrough too). BTW I just got done replacing the light bulbs for the temp and fan control, they are much easier to do.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I've got pictures of when I did it. If you need them email me. I'll try to put together a write in the next day or two but I"m in the middle of moving apartments so I might be a little slow.

[email protected]

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
just changed my gauge lights to match my apexi ones, but i still need help on the fan, and other dash lights....

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
While on the issue of dashb. & bulbs:
Can the A/C and stock radio lites be dimmed?
They don't seem to be affected by the dimmer.

Jay

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Has anyone been able to change the color of the bulbs, maybe to blue or another color? If so where did you get the bulbs? Even if you didn't change the color, where di dyou get the bulbs?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts