Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got finished putting the sp fuel system in and when i turned on the key two clicks to get the fuel going the fuel pressure guage read like 60psi or something, but there was a fuel leak in one of the rail ends, and also where the fuel pump bracket is. so i turned the car off again and tighted up the rail end, and tried to tighten the big plastic piece that holds the fuel pump bracket it but its still leaking(read next paragraph for more info on that) well anyways when i turned the key on for the 2nd time and even after i started the car this time the guage would only go barely above 20psi, i tried adjusting it but it didnt effect anything...any ideas?

now to the fuel pump bracket...is there any kinda tip to getting this damn thing sealed? it looks to be leaking around where the plastic piece holds the bracket down...is there suppose to be a o-ring or something in there that might have fallen out?

thanx in advance:)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
About your fuel leak at the pump bracket, I don't think that there is an o-ring there, not that I can remember anyways. For your low fuel pressure, take your fuel tank bracket back out, and see if one of your fuel pump lines (rubber) in the tank have come off. Mine have come off twice. I only had about 5 psi though. Make sure you dry the line, and the pump off real good, and put 2 clamps on each end just in case.
Hope this helps.

Tim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Andy, there is a rubber ring at the fuel pump bracket and Toyota recommends replacing it after opening up the tank. Were you able to get it pretty tight when you reinstalled it? Mine was tough to reinstall and get tight so I made a heavy duty tool similar to the Toyota SST.
As for the low pressure, check all wiring and grounds as well. Do you think it possible that some foreign matter is in a line somewhere restricting fuel supply?

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tim-
thanx for the suggestion, ill have to take the bracket out tomorrow and see if anything is going on in there. hopefully whatever is wrong is obviously cause its killing me not being able to drive it!

lonestar-
i dont think its something in the line, i hope not at least....when i first started the car and it was around 60psi for some reason i remember the pumps being louder, which makes me think that maybe some wiring is loose somewhere...i got the bracket pretty tight, i used some huge channel locks and tightened it like a mofo, when i take it apart to check the hoses and wiring im gonna see if maybe it was offcenter when it seated or something and caused the leak. how did u make the tool? ive never seen what they use to get that ring off so dont even have an idea where to start, but if it isnt too hard maybe i can rig something similar up. thanx again

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Make sure that the assembly sits flush when it's inserted into the tank. The rubber isolators at the bottom of my pumps were hitting the bottom of the tank so I had to trim them flush to get the assembly to sit flush at the top of the tank.

Put some grease or vaseline on the threads of the plastic ring that holds the assembly to make it easier to get on and tight. I just use a big screw driver to tap on the ridges.

I would guess one of the lines have popped off one of the pumps killing you pressure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Andy, Here is a picture of the first tool that I made to tighten the plastic ring. It was made of .040" stainless steel but it was not quite stiff enough to fully tighten it. I will post a picture of the revised version later.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The right tool for the right job. This thing works great! Just used a 3/8" drive ratchet and it tightened right up. You have to be careful using a screw driver on the ribs of the ring or they will break off.
Also Andy, the rubber ring usually stays buried up at the top of the ring when you remove it so I doubt it was twisted out of place when you reinstalled it. But because it is old rubber it may not reseal all that well, which is why Toyota recommends replacing it after going into the tank.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is really nice lonestar! i will have to see if i can rig something up like that, or maybe i can go borrow one from toyota, the guy at the parts deparment always talks to me about my car when i go in there....

well ii found out why the low fuel pressure, it was a blown off hose in the tank! but when i was in there another "problem" came up, the rubber coupling that sp provides with the fuel kit to wrap around the pumps got eaten to hell by the gas and there is pieces of the rubber all over in where the pumps sit. should i reach in there and try and clean it up, or does it matter? and also, now i need an idea of what to use around the pumps? i cut the coupling that i originally used so i could wrap both pumps, and i think the fuel got into the edges where it was cut and thats why it deteriorated, so should i just get another coupling and not cut it this time? or what....thanx again

-Andy

·
Registered
197 Posts
What you said about the rubber going to pieces sounds pretty strange. I wouldn't want those in the tank. The smaller ones will probably get sucked up to the pump screen. They wont enter the pump but may restrict flow. "Borrow" your wifes strainer (plastic handle with a wire cup strainer on the end) from the kitchen and tape the handle of it to a dowl rod or something similar. Scoop out as much as you can.
I would contact Larry at SP and ask him whats up with the problem you experienced.
Jarrett at PHR also a heavy duty rubber sheet that he provides with his fuel kits to prevent magnetic interference between the pumps.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lonestar Dawg said:
What you said about the rubber going to pieces sounds pretty strange. I wouldn't want those in the tank. The smaller ones will probably get sucked up to the pump screen. They wont enter the pump but may restrict flow. "Borrow" your wifes strainer (plastic handle with a wire cup strainer on the end) from the kitchen and tape the handle of it to a dowl rod or something similar. Scoop out as much as you can.
I would contact Larry at SP and ask him whats up with the problem you experienced.
Jarrett at PHR also a heavy duty rubber sheet that he provides with his fuel kits to prevent magnetic interference between the pumps.
yeah it was kinda weird, the rubber was litterally falling apart when i took the bracket out, good thing that the hose popped off in the tank or i would have never known. thanx for the idea about the strainer, ill have to do that....ill give ol larry a call at sp tomorrow and see what he says about it.

would it be alright to use some permatex brand gasket/flange sealant around the rubber ring that the fuel pump braket seats on? it doesnt say anything on the tube or package what kind of conditions that it can be used on, im not sure if the fuel would eat through it or what. thanx

·
Registered
197 Posts
Andy, I wouldn't use any sealant. If your seal is bad I would replace with a new one. If you are unsure about the seal try what was suggested earlier and lubricate the ring before you reinstall it. That may allow you to tighten it down enough to seal the tank.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lonestar Dawg said:
Andy, I wouldn't use any sealant. If your seal is bad I would replace with a new one. If you are unsure about the seal try what was suggested earlier and lubricate the ring before you reinstall it. That may allow you to tighten it down enough to seal the tank.
thanx for all the help lonestar...i found out why the coupling fell apart, they gave me a rubber one instead of a neoprine (sp?) one, so i had to run out to a local place and get a sheet of neoprine to use. i put a little vasaline on the threads and it helped a ton, and it is sealed off really well now. thank you very much for your help...ive got some more problems i ran into now, but im gonna try and get them figured out myself before i start yet another thread lol..well see how that goes. thanx again

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad to hear things are starting to work out. It's good when you post your problems. I'd much rather learn from someone elses headaches! As we modify these cars, others have already, or are about to, encounter similar 'issues'. Thats a big part of why Supraforums is here. (At least for me)
Once my intake and throttle body get back from HPC I'll be pressurizing my new fuel system too!
Good luck with the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts