Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK EVERY MORINING WHEN I START MY CAR IT TURNS ABOUT 8 TO 12 TIMES BEFORE IT STARTS RUNNING. AND AFTER THAT ITS FINE. IF YOU SHUT IT OFF, IT WILL START RIGHT BACK ON. BUT RECENTLY I HAVE NOTICED AFTER A SHORT DRIVE, WHEN I TURN OFF MY CAR, WHEN I GO BACK TO START THE ENGINE AFTER LIKE 25MINUTES OR SO, THE ENGINE WILL START BUT IT WONT RUN, SO I HAVE TO DO THAT FOR LIKE 10 TIMES AND HAVE THE GAS PEDAL HALF WAY DOWN TO GET A HIGH REV, AND IT WILL BE FINE. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK IT IS?
FUEL PUMP?
FUEL REGULATOR?
COLD START INJECTOR?
OR SOMETHING ELSE?

THANKS GUYS.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i know on mine it starts up a lot easier if i just turn the key to on, but not start it for a few seconds, then start the car.

i usually wait untill my factory boost guage goes to zero, it usually takes a few seconds, then i actually start the car, and i havent had any trouble since

but it seems like it is definatly something in your fuel system

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know i tried that and still the same problem.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Bishop92T said:
Do a full tuneup - plugs, wires, fuel filter, check valve clearances.
Are you saying that valve clearances alone can contribute to hard starts? Just curious.

I have alsways had this start problem. First start of the day spins the starter but doesn't "turn-over" unless I prime the fuel rail by putting the key on the on positiona couple of time before starting and/or open the throttle a bit. It becomes more difficult the colder it is and or the longer the car has not been started. However, on warmer days and definitely after any first start of the day ... the car will never have trouble "turning-over" and running strong.

I figured this could be: could start injector, bendix, plug+wires, maybe a few other things ... but I never thought tat valve clearances could be a factor. I know my valve clearances have to be a bit off. Full+rigorous tune-up coming soon :D .

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Valves have alot to do with how the car starts. Btw, after reading this thread closely about five times I am still confused asto what you're trying to say. "THE ENGINE WILL START BUT IT WONT RUN" are you trying to say that engine will turn over but wont start???

Either way, it could either be the starter, starter relay (if the engine has a hard time turning over). Or the stuff bishop mentioned along with timing, the easiest thing to be off.

Kruso

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Mine jts stumps me because after I get it started. It will sart right up for the rest of the day. It ahs to sit for about 9+ hours and or be cold out and it will have trouble .. otherwise it will usually start right up. Some times I get it to start on the first try as is .. but that only happens 1 out of every 5-10 times .. lately.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AWIDESUPIE said:
Mine jts stumps me because after I get it started. It will sart right up for the rest of the day. It ahs to sit for about 9+ hours and or be cold out and it will have trouble .. otherwise it will usually start right up. Some times I get it to start on the first try as is .. but that only happens 1 out of every 5-10 times .. lately.
i have the exact same trouble, but i just do what you do and prime the fuel rail and such

its probably due to 10+ year old fuel system

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bishop92T said:
Replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and injector o-rings and that problem will go away :)
do you mean for me and awidesupie, or for afgtaz420?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I meant for you NeverNZ, but it sounds like it would help AWIDESUPIE too. If you have to turn the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting it means you have either a weak fuel pump, a clogged fuel filter or one of your injector o-rings is letting a tiny amount of air into the lines.

Are you saying that valve clearances alone can contribute to hard starts? Just curious
Yes valve clearances have a huge effect on how the car starts and runs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kinda tough to diagnose what your problem is over the web, much less tell you how to solve it, don't ya think? I'll tell you what, it doesn't sound like you need to go out and spend tons of money on new stuff just yet.

The pause at ACC/ON prior to starting is a good idea on any EFI car, it gives the fuel pump time to get pressurized and properly send fuel to your injectors. Aside from that, do a lil' diagnosin' using the Toyota Service Repair Manual. You can find it online at http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ if you don't have a hardcopy.

If the car is running fine aside from that initial start, chances are you're not causing irreperable(sp?) damage to anything beyond the battery/starter, and probably not even that. Be patient, use every resource available to you, and the answer just might come to you for FREE, GRATIS, NADA!!! And the best things in life are free, after all.

I'm pretty green to this whole Supra community, but I've already helped pull my motor, rebuild the block AND, seperately I might add, swap out my HG already, so if you have any questions regarding those issues, feel free to ask. Good luck.

Peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts