Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I went ahead and bought the 1989 auto I posted about.

I have the following problems:
*pictures are linked due to the 10 pic limit

1. Rust in trunk and dripping from hatch
Information:
I am assuming this is the rear light gasket failing?
Was cleaning up the loose rust pushed down, and poked all the way through at one point
Trunk rust

The insulation under this plastic was wet
Weather stripping in hatch as it seems to drip from plastic and the meeting point?
Wetness

Advice needed:
After reading the FAQ, is the best method to replace the gasket, weld in sheet metal, and paint?
Should I paint with undercoating or zinc paint?
I've put shop towels in place to wick the water and prevent pooling, is this a good idea?
What are the part numbers for the gaskets/weather stripping?

2. Occasionally engine feels like its in "limp mode" when accelerating at full throttle - O/D light occasionally flashing
Information:
Once the weather clears up I'll get better videos a bit later and pull the O/D codes.
Here's a comparison, starting with quarter throttle, then full:
Acceleration comparison

Advice needed:
Any other ideas other than what the O/D code pull will show me?

3. Rust forming under paint in rear arches and hood
Information:
Rust under paint

Advice needed:
Best option for this? Chrisfix method?

4. Moisture making its way into light housings
Information:
Moisture in lights

Advice needed:
What's the cause and how do I fix it?

5. Missing rear wiper and broken black plastic on roof?
Information:
Broken housing - I'll add a picture soon
Plastic parts

Advice needed:
Is supposed that the rear wiper location?
Also, whats the broken housing meant to cover/do?

6. Cracked dash
Information:
Cracked dash

Advice needed:
How can I mend this?

7. Sporadic gurgling sound behind dash at/blow radio and above shifter
Information:
Gurgling noise

Advice needed:
Can someone tell me what this sound is?

To-Do:
Diagnose O/D flashing code, Inspect under mud guards, fluids change, and undercarriage inspection

Thanks in advance, if there are any questions please ask! :)

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
232 Posts
Ok, so, the leaks.

Both your tail light gaskets probably look like toast. (mine did). That's the major source of the leaks that fill up your spare well and both saddle wells.

The fix is to take out the inside plastic trim (middle and at least pull back both corners to get to all screws). For me, I pulled both tail light assemblies, and the middle license plate section and cleaned it all up.

From there I bought the new gaskets from Toyota as they still make them. I don't have the part number handy but they are easy to source.

I also used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063X38M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to seal them and other weather stripping. Works great and issue solved.

The other place my car leaked was the hatch. Its caused by dried out seals on the bottom window trim piece. That piece leaks, and allows the inside trim piece to fill with water. When you lift the gate, it spills out. That's your wetness video. While you may be able to seal along the window edge, I just replaced mine. That is also still available from Toyota, but its expensive. You need to pull that trim piece out to get to the bolts underneath to pull the trim piece off.

Honestly if any insulation or other things are wet, you need to dry it out. Remove all of the rear trim pieces like I did. I ended up pulling it all out and cleaning up some surface rust in the spare well and repainting.

The only other rust I found was under the main hatch weatherstrip (also still available from Toyota). There were two small areas of the metal lip that the weather strip attaches to that had rotted out. I ended up using rust removing gel and sanding it all out. I can't help with things that might have rusted through as I didn't run into that.

Moisture in your lights is all caused by this leaking more than likely. Get it sealed up and let the interior dry and you'll be on your way.

Cracked dash, not much you can do except cover it or find one in junk yard unless you find someone that has one.

The gurgling in the dash can be caused by a few things. One is that air is in the cooling system and hasn't been burped effectively. There are posts on that topic already. Your video of the sound is interesting though. I've never heard that exact sound.

Also, the whole BHG (blown head gasket) issue may/will creep into your ownership. Again, there are many articles on it and how to know if you have one, or a leaking one.

Welcome to your restore project! :) We'll see you around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I was planning to fix my tail light leaks, my local Toyota dealer did not have the OEM seals.
So I went to Lowe's and bought a strip of weather seal than can be used for autos & boats. I installed the weather strip following the old OEM gasket outline. My tail lights have been dry thru a couple of trips in the rain and car washes in over a year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
5. People delete the rear wiper, I don’t know why. I recently sourced the same parts. It was not easy.

7. Gurgle kinda sounds like a malfunctioning blower motor? More of a grinding than gurgle. Puzzling

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
232 Posts
I've learned there are a few different camps here. Some people want to keep the cars as original as possible, some people want to create their own car design and delete anything original they can, and then finally those that piece together a car from many others and are happy that it runs.

I've also learned I've been all three of those people at different times in life with different cars! :ROFLMAO:

Presently, I'm in the original camp. As I get a lot of things buttoned up and checked off the list though, I start looking at the motor and imagine when I have it rebuilt (not by me, I build networks not engines) why would I want to stop at stock 230HP when my X5 has 300. I mean if you're going to rebuild it (my thinking goes) at least get 300-400 hp out of it. I have no interest in taking it beyond that.

At that point the OEM form factor starts to warp.... haha

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've learned there are a few different camps here. Some people want to keep the cars as original as possible, some people want to create their own car design and delete anything original they can, and then finally those that piece together a car from many others and are happy that it runs.

I've also learned I've been all three of those people at different times in life with different cars! :ROFLMAO:

Presently, I'm in the original camp. As I get a lot of things buttoned up and checked off the list though, I start looking at the motor and imagine when I have it rebuilt (not by me, I build networks not engines) why would I want to stop at stock 230HP when my X5 has 300. I mean if you're going to rebuild it (my thinking goes) at least get 300-400 hp out of it. I have no interest in taking it beyond that.

At that point the OEM form factor starts to warp.... haha
I’m currently in the original camp because it’s difficult and many things have to have fallen in place for that to even happen but it is also boring. Fun is the simple BPU upgrades that get you at or around 400hp on a factory ECU. The moment something breaks and I have to go to the aftermarket to keep the car functioning, well bring on the upgrades and let’s design something new!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts