Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Professional OT Bum
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to make a thread for answers instead of posting in other threads :stickpoke

So the situation is like this.

Cams are installed onto head, witout being timed at all.
the cam Gears are installed to the cams, and still; no order just bolted to it.

Friend didnt know this :wtflol: so we bolt everyting up and set the gears to the right timming notch and attempt to start but cars way off timming.

How can we get everyting timed right without taking everything apart all over again..

please help car is sitting in driveway :hug:

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Well, if it's the cam TIMING you can just pull off the belt and set the cams correctly (with #1 at TDC of course). Put the belt back on, make sure the CPS is set correctly, and off you go.

·
Professional OT Bum
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boostedstr8six said:
Well, if it's the cam TIMING you can just pull off the belt and set the cams correctly (with #1 at TDC of course). Put the belt back on, make sure the CPS is set correctly, and off you go.

I know that is needed but what if you dont know if your gears are in sync with the cams to begin with, are there marks on the cam's to ensure the correct placement of the gear to it?

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Oh, ok. I wasn't sure what you were looking for. The cams have a pin and the cam gears have three holes that the pic could fit into. You want the pin to go to the middle cam gear hole. You can see what I mean in this pic @ step 9.

I hope this helps.

·
Professional OT Bum
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you so much I think this might be the biggest help yet!

If inface they are out of wack, will we need to get a "cam gear puller"?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cam gears are held on by one bolt. carefull not to lose the matchpin down inside the remaining timing cover, or you will need to pull the harmonic balancer to get that puppy back. That would require a puller....

·
Professional OT Bum
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noboostsucks said:
It sounds to me like he already lost them. Does he have stock cam gears?

no I dont believe they are lost then again im not to sure..

All I see from my view is the center bolt holding the gear on, how do you get that bolt out and then line it up with the dowel right? i need some steps :sadwavey:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Usually what i do if i dont have the valve covers off is take a wide chisel or screwdrive and place it between one of the spokes on the gear and the head of one of bolts for the backing plate. Its hard to explain but obvious when looking at it. This will keep the gear from turning. Now just put your socket or wrench on there and break it loose. Its not hard to do if you find a way to hold the gear. Now look for where the pin comes out of the cam and line it up with the center hole on the cam gear. Bolt it up and your done. Not hard really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts