Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys -

I installed my HKS 272's this evening and everything went very well but I have a question with regards to checking the valve clearances. Them manual tells me to set the cam gears on there marks with crank at "0" (#1 at tdc) and then check cylinders #1,3,5 on the ex cam and #1,2,4 on the intake cam. Then I can rotate the crank 360deg and check the remaining cylnders on both sides.

My questions is that lobes of the cams are all at different postions on the cylinders that I should be checking and its confusing the hell out of me. Any input would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
yes the lobes will face different angles but as long as the striking portoin of the lobe (the part that comes to a rounded point) is sticking up in the air you are good. Just make sure the timing marks are lined up.

I know you would thinkl the all the lobes would have to be at the exact same angle but that would make the car run kinda bad :)

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
oh and the 272 cams should not change your clearances...the only thing that really changes clearances are valve jobs, new springs, etc etc...generally cams will not change them enough to worry about.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
In simple terms: Just make sure your lobe (pointed end) is opposite of the shim when checking the clearance. You want the measure the bottom/fat round part of the teardrop shaped lobe :)

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Gonna work on it tommorro, I am taking a day off from work. I put in close to 90 hours from the Sunday before to Saturday afternoon. Time for some relaxation whoreing in the garage with my Dawg!!

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts