Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I bought a 1989 toyota supra turbo with only 78000 miles and im going into to boston and then the son of a gun starts smoking and im like WTF, and theres alot of antifreeze on the floor but the car hasnt overheated, so then i wait to cool down and i start the car and after a couple of milses after it starts smoking again, and then i reach a gas station where i purchse antifreeze and then its all over the floor so then i finally reach boston and i make it home and it smokes like crazy, can anyone help me out plzzz i just bought this car , ohh and the guy did a headgasket job, metal with arp studs

·
Registered
303 Posts
ouch. I hate to say it but he may have lied to you. Or worst, he told you the truth and did a head gasket job poorly for the future buyer (YOU) of this 89 supra. What color is the smoke? Where is the smoke coming from? And with all the coolant on the floor, sounds like its coming from the coolant tank in the front of the car right next to the driver side headlight. Look around where the head is mounted onto the block too to check for coolant leaks. It sounds like a faulty headgasket job if he said that the head gasket's recently been changed.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
When these cars blow a HG it overpressurises the Heater Core and you end up with the coolant on the carpet, people seem to overlook this as part of a BHG repair.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ooh, coolant on the carpet... i thought you were saying coolant wasleaking onto the floor (as in ground). I haven't had coolant leak unto any of mypast 6 mk3 supra's carpeting before. but sounds like chaos. Where is the smoke coming from and what color is it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO i went to start the car up today and it was fine, the coolant was leaking on the ground and i seen this hose in the back where like all the coolant was leaking from, but the car starts up fine, smokes comes out the exhaust, smoke is white

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
Is it the hose all the way in the back of the engine between the valve covers?

If so, that's an easy fix.

After to you the hose problem repaired, perform a cooling system, pressure test to see if there are any more leaks or BHG.

How does the car idle? Usually with a BHG you will have a misfire.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,890 Posts
It could be that hose... or the one to the left of the valve covers ( Might be same hose ). I had mine start leaking on me this last summer w/ a pin hole.

Speaking of over heating on the way home from buying a Supra.. I had the same problem yesterday but mine is leaking near the water pump / 90 degree hose by the turbo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys are awesome, it is thaT HOSE NEAR THE WALL, bad thing is my big ass hands wont fit lol ,im gonna try my best, so wat items do i need, just replacing the hose?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It takes 1 crank to turn the car due to a new headgasket and not being timed right but after that its all good, car purrs like a kitten,i just need to replace the hose and ill be set

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
hopefully it will be just that hose. I'd hate to see and low mile mk3 turbo get mess up like that. If you're at might might as will change all the coolent and hoses that you can see, heck even buy a new radiator to be one the safe side.....goodluck buddy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah man, i hope its that cause i just wanna drive it, i miss it , btw way anyone know where i can get the targa top bolts or watever you call them, like two of them are missing and whenever i go fast like it just wants to fly off , i had to drive with one hand on the top and shift with one hand, if there are any websites that would help thanks people

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
Its a bear, I almost think its easier to remove the motor mounts and drop the engine a bit to get to it better

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
^LOL oops my bad. I guess it does take more than 3 mins to get to that hose. I felt like having a nervous breakdown trying to get at it. Very stressful lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol i finally got that little hose off, holy crap it had a hole size of a dime, i was like damm thats alot of antifreze . took my friend 5 minutes,had to use long needle nose pliers

·
BOOST IS BETTER!!
180 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts