Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SF's Cleanest
Joined
·
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a set of CCW 505A's.

I was wondering if there is anything I should do to them before mounting them on the car. Any special products that would sort of give it a protective coating to prevent any minor scratches it might pick up. I'm going to the store now to pick up some Mother's Metal Polish, is there anything else I should get along with it? Thanks :)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
I have Kinesis K-58's with highly polished centers and i only use plain soap & water to wash'em and yes they still look brand new.I also take them off twice a year to clean the back side or else they accumulate lots of gunk thats very hard to come off.
Hope that helps and btw very nice wheels.
 

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
Joined
·
893 Posts
If you want to drop the coin, get some Zoopseal. Protects them for a year and you'll not have to bust your ass polishing them until then... then just put more Zoopseal on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Joey, find out if they are clear coated. The mother polish isn't intended to use on clear coated metals. Zoopseal is pretty expensive but a very good idea to protect your expensive rims. Or you can treat it just like your car paint(if your rims have clearcoat) clay bar, polish, and sealant.
 

·
SF's Cleanest
Joined
·
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the wheels are clearcoated. The mothers polish said if a black residue doesn't form then it's not the correct type of polish for your wheels. I got the black residue so I assume its some kind of reaction that happens when the polish reacts with the alluminum. I dunno. I'll look into some of the zoopseal, does it have to go on BEFORE i mount the wheels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I use Mothers aluminum polish to keep my rims shiny, I polish them about twice every summer.



My advice, don't use a brush to scrub the brake dust off when you wash the rims. If you do, you'll end up with fine scratches all over the face of the rim but nothing a little elbow grease and polish can't fix.
 

·
Undefinable
Joined
·
968 Posts
I've used MAAS (blue cream in the toothpaste tube) on every wheel I've owned (as well as exhaust and other metals in need of polish). Works great, is relatively easy to apply (not sprayable), and lasts a long time. You can find it in your grocer's aisle. :)
 

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
Joined
·
893 Posts
Xenon Supra said:
I don't think the wheels are clearcoated. The mothers polish said if a black residue doesn't form then it's not the correct type of polish for your wheels. I got the black residue so I assume its some kind of reaction that happens when the polish reacts with the alluminum. I dunno. I'll look into some of the zoopseal, does it have to go on BEFORE i mount the wheels?
You can apply Zoopseal whenever you want. Thing is though, when you put it on you want the wheels to be at their best. If there is a smudge or haze in a spot when you apply it, that haze is there sealed until the stuff wears off. The upside is if you put it on when the wheels look their best, they stay like that. No polishing with Mothers or whatever, just rinse them off like you would chrome and they'll look as good as the day you got them.
 

·
Undefinable
Joined
·
968 Posts
Euphoric said:
You can apply Zoopseal whenever you want. Thing is though, when you put it on you want the wheels to be at their best. If there is a smudge or haze in a spot when you apply it, that haze is there sealed until the stuff wears off. The upside is if you put it on when the wheels look their best, they stay like that. No polishing with Mothers or whatever, just rinse them off like you would chrome and they'll look as good as the day you got them.
Where can you find this stuff (locally)? I am about to put on some brand new Work wheels and would love to preserve them as much as possible. Thanks.

Kev
 

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
Joined
·
893 Posts
MKIV_Aspirant said:
Where can you find this stuff (locally)? I am about to put on some brand new Work wheels and would love to preserve them as much as possible. Thanks.

Kev
I've only seen it available online through various vendors. Here is their site -

http://zoopseal.com/zoopseal.asp

Jegs, Eastwood and other retailers carry it online or you can buy straight from them. It's pricey though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,688 Posts
The CCW's are not clear coated. I use mothers on them every week to polish them. They are a pain in the ass but you gotta do it or the wheels will dull.
 

·
Undefinable
Joined
·
968 Posts
Anyone know which kit I need? I want to do all four wheels (including the inside of the tubs) and the cat-back Goliath exhaust. Is the Junior kit enough, or will I need the one that does 75sq feet? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
lambchop11078 said:
I use Mothers aluminum polish to keep my rims shiny, I polish them about twice every summer.



My advice, don't use a brush to scrub the brake dust off when you wash the rims. If you do, you'll end up with fine scratches all over the face of the rim but nothing a little elbow grease and polish can't fix.
which wheels are those??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
Zaino works on wheels also...if you're a zaino believer :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,848 Posts
Here's a tip. Don't wash your wheels/car and leave water standing on (the inside of) the rims... you'll come back later to find a nice discolored spot that will be a bitch to get off.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top