Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been meaning to put an oil cooler on my car for a pretty long time now and need some help. Whenever I try to find out information on sf, like the sticky on oil coolers, I can't seem to find a setup that multiple people use and have had suscess with other than the expensive name brand ones like greddy ect. So it would be very helpful if someone posted where they bought the following: website, part numbers, ect.

1. Oil Cooler
2. Lines with fittings
3. Sandwich adaptor

I plan on mounting it in the drivers side vent if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.
Mike

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I run a generic cooler that is about 18" long and 9" tall. You can find oil coolers in any aftermarket performance shop [hot rod shops] the adapter is a moroso unit with oil filter relocation from motoso as well. Some braided lines and you're done.
There is no need to get the "name brand" as they all pretty much do the same thing. Measure the area that you want to mount it and go to a local hot rod shop and grab one for less than $100.00.

Reactions: ineedboostbad

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you have to relocate the oil filter, I'm guessing that it wont fit with a sandwich adaptor inbetween? Where did you relocate yours to, hopefully somewhere that makes oil changes easier.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
MTR said:
So you have to relocate the oil filter, I'm guessing that it wont fit with a sandwich adaptor inbetween? Where did you relocate yours to, hopefully somewhere that makes oil changes easier.
You don't have to relocate the filter but since you're there might as well to make it easier to access. Here are some pics. Sorry for the size.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Mani my friend your car is so hot............always has been and still is my favorite MKIV

Too bad we never made it to TX this year huh? :D Oh well, I'll see you maybe late spring when I finally take some time off work and hit up LA

·
Premium Member
440 Posts

·
238 Posts
I used the following in my car, prices and PN's are from Summit:

Derek O'Banion oil adapter @ $30 (?)
BMM-70266 x 1 @ $59.88 8in x 11in oil cooler
EAR-502ERL x 1 @ $82.39 sandwich thermostat adapter
AER-FCA1006 x1 @ $38.95 6ft of -10an braided hose
EAR-981610ERL x 2 @ 4.50 ea. 1/2npt to -10an male straight adapters
AER-FBM4034 x 1 @ $21.88 ea. -10an 90 degree hose end
EAR-300110ERL x 1 @ $8.88 ea. -10an to -10an straight hose end
EAR-840110ERL x 2 @ $18.95 o-ring -10an male hose ends

For a total of $289

This setup gets you a big cooler, gets rid of the questionably restrictive stock oil cooler, and doesn't restrict you in filter choices. Mine is in the driver's side fender well held in place by bent strip steel brackets. Simple and effective, IMO. The only possible drawback is that you'll loose your window washer reservoir.

Brad

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks dirt for all of the help that what I was looking for. So you remove the whole oem mounting bracket and oil cooler, then screw dereks into the block, then the sandwich adapter which runs 2 lines to the oil cooler? And then the oil filter onto the other end of the sandwich? How hard is it to change the oil filter now if its parallel rather than the stock 30-40 degree angle?

Also is there an easy way to install an oil temp sensor with this setup?

Mike

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just put in my order, thanks a lot and I will let everyone know how well the install goes.

Mike

·
0 Posts
DIRT MY BROTHER YOU GOT IT AL CORRECT THATS THE WAY TO SHOP. ITS SUPRISING HOW MANY FOLKS DONT KNOW THAT A SUMMIT CATALOG CAN SAVE YOU BIG BUCK ON GENERIC UPGRADES LIKE THIS. AND YOUR GETING A QUALITY PART

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
73LEVIN said:
DIRT MY BROTHER YOU GOT IT AL CORRECT THATS THE WAY TO SHOP. ITS SUPRISING HOW MANY FOLKS DONT KNOW THAT A SUMMIT CATALOG CAN SAVE YOU BIG BUCK ON GENERIC UPGRADES LIKE THIS. AND YOUR GETING A QUALITY PART
Yea you save almost $500 and get better quality stuff when comparing it to the greddy kits. This is the first time though that I have seen someone post a list like that, it made it really easy for me, thanks a lot.

Mike

·
238 Posts
MTR said:
Thanks dirt for all of the help that what I was looking for. So you remove the whole oem mounting bracket and oil cooler, then screw dereks into the block, then the sandwich adapter which runs 2 lines to the oil cooler? And then the oil filter onto the other end of the sandwich? How hard is it to change the oil filter now if its parallel rather than the stock 30-40 degree angle?

Also is there an easy way to install an oil temp sensor with this setup?

Mike
Yep, you have the install right. :)
It's pretty easy to get to the filter from above, but I have no TRAC pump to get in the way, so I'm not sure how it would be for a car with the pump still in place. It will still be at a 15 degree angle or so IIRC, but it doesn't make a difference in accessability in my case.
As for the temp sensor, that is really the only drawback to this setup, though I'm told that it's not a huge deal for an experienced shop to drill directly into the oil pan for this with it still in the car. Feel free to mail me if you have any questions about the install.

Brad

·
Registered
531 Posts
That should be OK for a while then when you get really fast at the track you can add another oil cooler and plumb the lines together, I have two oil coolers one in the duct under the light and one were my ac used to be sandwiched inbetween my intercooler and radiator.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I ran into another problem, I finally contacted dereck and he said he doesn't have anymore of the adapters that fit into the block. Does anyone else know how I can run this setup minus the adapter or anyone know where I could find this adapter? THanks

Mike

·
238 Posts
Well, I think one solution would be to use the stock oil cooler's pipe plugs for your oil cooler. Once side is 3/4 NPT, the other is 1/2 NPT, and you could run an inline Earl's thermostat on the way to the oil cooler.

As for the adapter, it was just a 5in long or so peice of threaded pipe, it seems that something like that could be found with some searching.

Brad

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mani said:
I run a generic cooler that is about 18" long and 9" tall. You can find oil coolers in any aftermarket performance shop [hot rod shops] the adapter is a moroso unit with oil filter relocation from motoso as well. Some braided lines and you're done.
There is no need to get the "name brand" as they all pretty much do the same thing. Measure the area that you want to mount it and go to a local hot rod shop and grab one for less than $100.00.
Great info guys.

Do you have the part numbers for the oil filter relocation/adapter?

Is it not possible to get an inline adapter that can use pressure and temp probes?

Thanks
Wes

·
Stock Twins King
4,490 Posts
Here is the primo way, but a little expensive. Includes everything except the sandwich adapter. This kit retains the stock cooler. I know of other owners who have remove the stock cooler to make more room.

http://user1002527.wx19.registeredsite.com/miva/merchant.mv? Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FSE&Category_Code=acoc

To buy your parts:

You will need the following:

(2) 809008ERL $21.90 EA 90 8 AN
(2) 804508ERL $21.90 EA 45 8 AN
(2) 824588ERL $28.44 EA 45 8 AN 1/2"NPT
(2) 9892108ERL $ 9.84 EA Oil Cooler Reducer

(1) 1178ERL $22.44 EA Oil Filter block adapter
(1) 2178ERL $39.66 EA Oil Filter adapter
(1) 22508ERL $140.16 EA 25 row cooler (you can change this)
(2) 350608ERL $44.28 EA 6' Prolite 350 hose (12')

This gives you the complete Oil Bypass/Oil Cooler Temp-a-Cure System

Total with shipping (Free) is about $455

You can always change all of this to 10 AN as opposed to 8 AN. You can always
go down to a 19 Row Cooler as well. The 25 Row Cooler is rather small, like 8"x10". Do some searching if you want to snoop out other options.

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
I haven't gotten mine all plumbed up, but I did get rid of the stock cooler and switch over to the N/A filter mount which does have a 1/2" and 3/4" plugs in it... I stuck my temp probe in one of them.

I picked up a Setrab cooler and a Mocal sandwich adapter with a built in thermostat.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Do any of you guys have a picture of Derek's adapter? I'm looking to remove the stock cooler as well, and want to see if I can make that adapter.

The info in this thread is great as well.

Thanks guys.
Daniel

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 42 Posts