Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ...

I need to rebuild my rear diff, all I care about is changing the bearings due to whining noise, not sure if it is the pinion bearing or not..

Anybody have an exploded diagram of the rear diff or a howto on how to rebuild it?

Thanks

Adrian

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
You'll need to pay close attention to the bearing preload and gear contact pattern to have a nice quiet diff. when you are done.

Anyone else heard that Toyota 8" truck diff parts will fit? Anyone know what exactly?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you are experiencing whining, it's more than likely the ring and pinion that is worn, probably due to the incorrect preload being applied after a seal change.

IMO this is the hardest thing to rebuild on the entire car with the exception of an auto tranny. You really need to have someone who has done one before there with you when you do it the first time - there are many areas where things can get screwed up. Getting the bearings off the pinion usually requires a *real* press too. I had to apply 45 tons to get the pinion bearing off on my 87 turbo truck.

The 8" ring and pinion sets out of a Toy truck should work fine. I have heard of many people using the MKIII limited slip in the trucks, they just require slight modification for clearance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This diff is in my winter car a 90 Cressida, When I got the car all was fine but it had a small leak in the pinion seal, unfortunaltly I did not know until it ran out of fluid. Assuming one of the bearings whent dry and grenaded itself....

It the ring and pinion is the same, I have a crap load of toy 8" rears I can use the gears from... Anybody know what ratio is in the 90 cressida?

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
I rebuilt my differential and have never done it before and it was fairly simple. Just follow the TSRM step by step. Getting the right preload is really easy to get right, but don't get to much then back the pinion nut off, never back the nut off. I am going to have a full write up with full detailed pictures of my rebuild.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts