Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need all the info I can get b/c it is hard to find info on the TRD exhaust for a mkiv TT. Any info will help. Size? Pics? Sound? anything at all.

Thanks, Johann

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
Hi Johann,

There are a lot of more free-flowing, cost effective exhausts available for the Supra which is why the TRD isn't used quite as often as other brands such as HKS, Tanabe, and Apexi.

Check out http://www.mvpmotorsports.com for all of the available exhausts and you might be able to determine the exhaust that is right for you. With the money you save by not buying the TRD, you can get some other fun gadgets for your supra. I definately recommend buying a downpipe at the same time or else you're virtually defeating the purpose of the major horsepower gain of adding an exhaust system. The downpipe is where you'll get a lot of it.

Contact Dusty for questions and to place your order, he also carries TRD if that is what you have your heart set on 940-683-3800

Brittany

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brittany, I just picked up a TRD catalog, which has a bit more info on the exhaust. I only considered the TRD exhaust becuase I like the look of the stock one, and the TRD one is similar. However, as you said, its not the best free-flowing.

Thanks again, Johann

·
3,148 Posts
I have never heard that the TRD exhaust is more restrictive than any of the other. Brittany, please quantify. I have the TRD (1st gen.) and love it. It put out very similar hp numbers at BPU to my other Supra with an HKS Super Dragger and my friends with a Greddy PE. I am still running the TRD with my SP63. The TRD is full stainless with a 3.5" diameter pipe. Very few exhausts offer full stanless and a 3.5" pipe diameter.

Later, Steve

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
There is no significant difference between 3.5" exhausts. The TRD 2nd gen is every bit as free flowing as any other available exhaust system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
From what I understand, the first generation exhaust is not quite as straight as the 2nd generation model. However, I have not heard anything about it being restrictive. I have the 2nd generation exhaust and have been extremely pleased . . . full stainless and not loud until I step on it.

Steve,
On another note, could I have your advise in the General Supra Forum section under SSR wheels. Thanks.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
No, the TRD first gen exhaust does not split off. However, it does come straight out of the body like the stock exhaust which means that there is a gentle bend in the exhaust. The 2nd gen exhaust angles out of the body like most current exhausts today, which means the straightest shot in the rest of the exhaust system.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Brittany said:
I thought the first gen TRD exhaust split off and had more restrictive batting, etc in the canister. Correct me if I'm wrong?
I have the TRD 1st gen. Made 457 rwhp recently. Not restrictive at all, and probably has the best overall quality and materials of the aftermarket exhausts.

I'm sure the 2nd gen is at least as good.

J

·
0 Posts
Lagtime said:

I have the TRD 1st gen. Made 457 rwhp recently. Not restrictive at all, and probably has the best overall quality and materials of the aftermarket exhausts.

I'm sure the 2nd gen is at least as good.

you are right, my supra gain about 10rwhp with just TRD 2nd gen exhaust installed

S

·
0 Posts
well i think the larger the pipe diameter and straiter the pipe the less restrictive it will be, although i could be a little wrong on that. also i have the TRD exhaust 2nd gen and it sounds nice not to loud except when i step on it, it sounds like it has muscle, which it does, i just dont want my car to sound like a honda with a kazoo

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The fit and finish of the TRD is as good as any out there, and better than most. It has a nice deep, mellow tone that wakes up at WOT and also sounds great when you let off the gas. I actually wish it was a bit louder, but then again maybe it helps keep me out of trouble the way it is. :D

I think the best overall sound I have heard on stock twins is the HKS Racing Titanium (the full version). It is very loud but sounds great. I haven't heard one on a single but it must be awesome. The HKS Super Dragger has one of the best single turbo exhuast sounds I have heard so far, but it hangs down way to low for me.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
the new trd is a lot more free flowing....

i dynoed the same numbers with a tanabe as i did the trd.... also you get a 12M 12,000 mile warranty....... AND if the police give you a lot hell in your town, they cat say shit.... it FACTORY.... that is why i had to get one....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts