Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my predicament- I set aside about $3500 for aftermarket work on the supra-while I can exceed this ammount -i really don't want to- cars are terrible investments. In any case i have already spent about 3k on the following stuff: suspension mods (eibachs, KYB AGX's and . front and rear cusco strut towers)-4 brand new tires on stock rims- Bridgestone pole position SO3's and a bunch of longevity maintanence- tranny fluid change, coolant flush anf fill, mobil 1 oil change, new iridium plugs.
So I have about $500 or so left and I want to make the car a bit faster-without compromising the life of the engine or turbos.

I was thinking maybe high flow cats-good idea bad idea- I'd get a DP but then its not street legal and i'm worried about blowing the turbos because I don't have a boost controller-
if i got a dp and a boost controller- i would need a new clutch- then I'm way over my limit

any suggestions 20 hp would be fine with me!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the factory clutch is good to about 480-490 rwhp so you can get a boost controller and a downpipe and you dont have to get a new clutch.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
supraboytt said:
Heres my predicament- I set aside about $3500 for aftermarket work on the supra-while I can exceed this ammount -i really don't want to- cars are terrible investments. In any case i have already spent about 3k on the following stuff: suspension mods (eibachs, KYB AGX's and . front and rear cusco strut towers)-4 brand new tires on stock rims- Bridgestone pole position SO3's and a bunch of longevity maintanence- tranny fluid change, coolant flush anf fill, mobil 1 oil change, new iridium plugs.
So I have about $500 or so left and I want to make the car a bit faster-without compromising the life of the engine or turbos.

I was thinking maybe high flow cats-good idea bad idea- I'd get a DP but then its not street legal and i'm worried about blowing the turbos because I don't have a boost controller-
if i got a dp and a boost controller- i would need a new clutch- then I'm way over my limit

any suggestions 20 hp would be fine with me!

I would get a K&N air filter, don't waste your money on HKS, its not really any better, your just paying double the price for the name.

Change your spark plugs and Spark plug wires...
NGK or these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=596963740&r=0&t=0
(Im not quite sure how well these work, but I really want to know)

Get a FCD or BCC. You will need one before you do much more upgrading, when you get that, then go with bleeder T or VSV bypass mod.

Now you will have gained over 20hp and still have money left over...And everything is still street legal, I dont know why your worried about that, but I kept that part in mind :cool:
Oh yeah, also...
If you got a dp and exhaust it would still be street legal...Dont expect much more power after that without doing it..

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
BCC and Bleeder-T

Just get a GReddy BCC and Bleeder-T mod (free). The BCC is $100. I ran like this for a months and kicked some serious ass on the street.

That'll be WAY more than 20hp. You won't break anything unless you do something really dumb.......

But just for your information, the downpipe is the number one most effective mod that can be done to a stock twin-turbo'd supra. (Other than boost, of course).

·
Registered
707 Posts
Best bang for your buck will be a dp and bcc. Your clutch will hold this power level with no problems. Then cat back, bc, afc, fmic, etc...

Bill P 95tt bpu++

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i knew you would be of great help!
are high flow cats affective?
I'm a little leary of going illegal - and i heard that non cat cars smell like ass-any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
supraboytt said:
thanks guys i knew you would be of great help!
are high flow cats affective?
I'm a little leary of going illegal - and i heard that non cat cars smell like ass-any thoughts?
There is a post about high flow cats vs. stright DP in the general section right now.
A stright DP does smell a bit, but I don't think it's that bad. I know of a bunch of guys in the MA area that are running stright DP's and no one has had a problem with cops or anything, then again we only run them off road :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks- I'll check out the dp vs high flow cat debate. i also wanted to mention that i have about 93 k on the car right now with original clutch and turbos- which is one of the main reasons i'm so hesitant to fuck with the engine-
thanks all
DC

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should quit wasting your money and buy an Audi, or at least get a spoiler. Any extra dollars should be spent on your lover.

Flame boat!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Mr. T said:
the factory clutch is good to about 480-490 rwhp so you can get a boost controller and a downpipe and you dont have to get a new clutch.
490 RWHP will DEVOUR the stock cluch quickly. I managed to get 18K miles out of my stocker at BPU (~390 RWHP) taking it easy for the most part on launches. That was from 40,000 miles to 60,000 on the car. If you already have 93,000 miles, you will be looking for a new clutch soon enough! :p

A bleeder-T is the single cheapest HP gain of any car out there that I know of. MKIV.com describes it.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Re: Re: Need More Hp

poweraddict said:

Change your spark plugs and Spark plug wires...
hmmm..TT's use coil packs.

anyways, either say F being street legal and get a used downpipe and exhaust, or you can get a downpipe that has a highflow cat.

you want to free up any of the back pressure on turbo cars (restrctive exhaust, DP, cats, ect.) without doing those first dont expect too much gain.

you could also just get an exhaust, again a DP will provide more bang for the buck, but exhaust will free up around 15 alone, and will make the car sound better.

and if you wanna boost over 15psi, like some said u will need something like greddy BCC. dont do the free fuel cut mods, just spend the 100 and get the bcc
if your on a buget and want a boost controller get a hallman manual controller, costs about $90 and will work better then most electronic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts