Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought the car ravaged (93 Supra TT) and I've since put together a Mini computer and will connect it to a 7" touchscreen.
My question is what are some good component speakers that will go into the stock locations ?
I'm a musician so quality is VERY important to me.
I listen mostly to my own stuff (fast metal type of music) cause I'm sick of most of what's out there so I want a setup that's going to let the double bass shine through but also be able to hear all the keyboards and intricate things that are in the music.
I know practically nothing about "car" stereo setups so if someone has the knowlege to share with me I appreciate it.

Also looking to spend less than $450 for all the speakers and stuff.
I'll do the installs myself.:agreed:

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Boston Z's and Focal Utopia's are my fav. Boston is the ONLY company that test and base all their specs of of thei speakers installed in a vehicle, not a test room. They also use a tuned port in front the the aluminum tweeter to eliminate the resonating frequency of aluminom...focal uses an inverted dome tweeter, but you also loose frequencies you want to hear that way.

I love my focals, but Boston's are eqaully amazing. Whatever you do, listen to them first

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I'll go listen to the Boston Z's.
Are the sized 6.5 fronts ? and 7.5 rear ?

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
stock is 4" front & 6.5" rear

you can easily go to a 6.5" front and rear.

I second the Focals :) Utopia line is pretty bitchin if you can get your hands on them (I'll sell ya a couple pairs cheap ;)), but so are the K2Ps (which are what officially took over for the older Utopa line)

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Thanks for the call out on the utopia ;) i havent had the focal line in our store for 4 years or so.

There are 2 sets of boston Z's....old an new

BOSZ6 - old
SPZ6 - new

two VERY different speakers....both awesome. They retailed $1000 new and $1200 respectively

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn ! $1k ? I was hoping in the $450 and UNDER range

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
damn ! $1k ? I was hoping in the $450 and UNDER range

hey - you said music quality was VERY important to you ;)

In that price range, boston pro's retail around $600 but im sure you can find someone to make you a deal for $500 or so. I'm not sure what Focal's model is in that price point

·
1,924 Posts
165v2s would blow your mind for that price

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well The Boston Z's sounded horrible.
The only speaker I liked at the store I went was the:
Focal 165k2p
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1690_Focal+165K2P+6-1-2-+K2P+Component+System.html

Maybe I should emphasize that I listen to Hardcore and intricate Metal music and need a flat line sound that I can hear everything that's going on in the music. The Focal V's were too aggressive and just make guitars overpower everything.

I guess there's no 3 way version for it but for the sound I don't think I'd need rear speakers if I could fit these in the doors and then get like a 10" Sub in the hatch somewhere.

Does anyone have a better price on these than $500 ?
Also 88supramkiii since you live closeby do you have that setup in your car ?
I'm coming to Ventura for a meeting on next Saturday if you don't mind me listening in-car to your setup and possibly taking them off your hands :)

·
1,924 Posts
i have the Utopias in my car, i'm only selling both sets together so that I could possibly get a set of Utopia Be's ;) but you can still hear my car, that i'm always up for. If I didn't have a chance to get the Utopias I would still have my 165V2's in the front and my 130CV1's in the rear running off of my old 300/4

perhaps the shop you went to didn't have the board tuned very well for the V's, you're more than welcome to roll up to our shop and hear out Focal board. Bring some music and we'll put it on for you so that you can hear how good those Polyglass speakers sound. Yes they do have 3 ways as well in the polyglass and K2P

-Chris

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Just curious, where did you listen to the Z's that made them sound horrible?

·
1,924 Posts
^^

must have been the same shop that had the Polyglass' :dunno:

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
they didn't sound horrible but for my style of music and what I was looking for the did not deliver in the slightest.
It was a very aggresive sound that made vocals and guitars stand out so far in front of the drums it was rediculous.
I need that flat midrange (not high mids) so I can hear the cymbals\toms\kick\guitar\keyboards and everything else that's in the music.
I don't want anything to stand out above the other and the K2P was the only set that did that for me.
I listened to pretty much every Focal they had and some Diamond\JL\some other stuff too.
Also tried different amps and didn't like the tube amp cause it made kick drums sound spongy as compared to this amp made by Tru Technologies. THAT was nice but it was like $999 so outta my budget.

The place I went was called Beach Autosound (#1 seller in the Orange County area) and I was delightfully educated by the owner on everything I could be so far.

edit: Also my meeting just got changed to the 21st. So unless you happen to be down in the L.A. area before then I'll be hitting you up that weekend.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you like the 165K2P You will be hard pressed to find anything thatwilltouch them inthe nar price range. Unless you go with the Focals BE series. I have a set of 165K2P I can get you a great deal on. please PM me if interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts