Supra Forums banner

Need Opinion on Eclipse...

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  pooshda 
G
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have always used alpine equipment for car audio but I am now looking at the Eclipse Multimedia flipout monitor. Any advice on Eclipse products? quality compared to alpine? any opinions would me great... Thanks :)

Ciao,

G
#2 ·
Originally posted by SupraRacer:
Hello everyone,

I have always used alpine equipment for car audio but I am now looking at the Eclipse Multimedia flipout monitor. Any advice on Eclipse products? quality compared to alpine? any opinions would me great... Thanks :)

Ciao,
I've heard nothing but good things about eclipse, not sure that helps but I've never used it personally. I can say though that I've heard my friends eclipse system and the bass was simply ridiculous.

G
#3 ·
Thanks,

I am just looking for general opnions on quality and stuff because I am considering buying an entire Eclipse system from someone here with the deck, dsp processor, changer, etc. I have heard good also, but it seems like not too many people sell Eclipse car audio. Wonder why?

Interesting note: Eclipse is made by Fujitsu.Ten, same company that makes the stock supra stereo :)

G
#4 ·
I am using the eclipse 55040 head unit and 5962 in dash cd changer(along with Diamond Hex speakers and a McIntosh amp). I have always liked eclipse(used to work for a shop that sold eclipse and alpine), although, this is the first time I have owned any Eclipse components. I am still in the process of putting the system together, so I can't give you much more feedback. I will when I get it done though.

G
#5 ·
Thanks,

I am just looking for general opnions on quality and stuff because I am considering buying an entire Eclipse system from someone here with the deck, dsp processor, changer, etc. I have heard good also, but it seems like not too many people sell Eclipse car audio. Wonder why?

Interesting note: Eclipse is made by Fujitsu.Ten, same company that makes the stock supra stereo :)
Well I know that there are like no companies over the internet that sell eclipse, I think that is enforced on purpose by eclipse for some reason or another. My friend with the eclipse system drove an hour to find an eclipse dealers, but like I said, his system is very good and very well installed.

#6 ·
Eclipse is THE BEST. Although I like Alpine too, only head units I have and ever will own... unless something truly amazing comes out, but if that happens... it will probably be an eclipse product anyway ;) ... Im currently running an Eclipse 55040 (2000 model) and im currently thinking about the Eclipse DVD system.. or upgrading to the 2001/2002 top CD player. I HIGHLY recommend eclipse though, you will not be dissapointed, and if you are.. im not sure whats wrong with you ;)

#7 ·
Eclipse does not authorize the sale of their products on the net, only from authorized retailers. If you find eclipse stuff on the net it will not have a warranty! With that said, they are great! I just finised an install in my viper with mostly eclipse products and have been very happy. I used the 55040 head unit, 5.25" components in the doors, 6.5" point source in the back, 2 88120dvc alluminum subs all from eclipse. Sounds great and pounds big time! I am taking it to an audio comp this weekend for the first time. Will let you guys know how it turns out. Click the link in my sig to see my install. lata guys/gals :)

G
#9 ·
<STRONG>Hello everyone,

Ciao,</STRONG>
I have the 7301, Eclipse 2DIN monitor/CD/Tape. It's pimp. Enough said.

#10 ·
not many people cary it due to the minimum buying needed for a store to have them and the price is usually i so high most people look somewhere else but as the price also scares them
Eclipse is the best out i rank it next to or over alpine in quality !

[ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: RanGer498 ]

#11 ·
Well, here is my stance on Eclipse products.

As one of Eclipse's largest dealers they have, I might be considered somewhat of an expert on them.

I too had an Eclipse 5504 in my Supra with a 5962 in dash 6 disc changer. Well one day about 6 months ago, I decided that video is the hot new thing for car audio and I wanted in on it. Everyone seemed to be all hot and heavy for video/multimedia in car and frankly, Eclipse really didn't offer the high tech stuff that Alpine did. I pulled out my 5504 and 5962 and installed an Alpine IVAC-800 with an Alpine DVA-5205 DVD player.

Sure, I now had video in my Supra but let me tell you.... My sound quality is nowhere as good as what it was with the Eclipse source units.

If you want the absolute best sounding CD player that you can get for your money, buy an Eclipse.

Sure, they are a little behind in the multimedia department but, for music playback, they are what most others are judged on.

I know, many manufacturers make "statement" pieces that are of good quality. BUT!! Eclipse's entire line "sounds" good, from the cheapest to the top end. They are easy to use, have the best warranty, and are hard to beat for the price if you are after quality of music playback in a car.

There... just my .02

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

#12 ·
Oh yea.. And to "second" what was said prior...

You can not buy Eclipse over the Internet from ANY authorized Eclipse dealer. If you do purchase an Eclipse product from someone over the net, you will not have their 3 year warranty or their gaurantee against theft.

Oh yea, and if someone does buy from what they believe to be an authorized dealer over the net.... Let me know. I would be interested in having that information.

Not gonna implicate anyone, just gonna use it for my own little experiment.

Thanks

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

Tom Kenyon

G
#13 ·
Thanks Guys,

All the great feedback and I could not resist..... I now own an Eclipse 7002 head unit and 8 disk changer. I bought it used, it is all 3 weeks old with all the warranty cards, manuals, boxes and everything, he even threw in a VCR to sell me. Picked it up for a damn good deal.

One question for you Thomas, can I call eclpise and transfer the warranty?

Thanks for all the feedback guys it is really what made me change my mind from Alpine, as I used to use there products only before. I cannot wait to install everything.

Ciao.

#14 ·
If the products have not been registered by the previous owner then you should not have too much trouble "figuring" out how to register it in your name. They are going to ask you where the unit was purchased on the warranty card...make sure you put an AUTHORIZED dealer on that card. Throw some buisness card from that shop in the envelope. If the unit HAS been registered, then the original owner can call Eclpise and transfer ownership over to you.

That's about it.. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

G
#15 ·
Dude Eclipse rocks!! Alpine is good but way too delicate ever see an amplifier catch fire in a car?? Yeah my Alpine MRV-1507 toasted. Reason was the wire i was using was too thick and i overloaded the amp weird thing was i didnt know u could OVERload an amp and the 80 amp fuse on the amp didnt even blow. If you're going to use alpine be careful with the installation. Eclipse I have never had any problems with.

#19 ·
$2000 (2 years ago)... Pros: Pretty bad ass, Eclipse, Double din, great video quality, can control a good number of sources, nice features.

Cons: 3 years old, its rather outdated (no cdtext support, not quite upto par with current in-car-video technology, eclipse has new stuff out to compliment their new dvd players now.. new headunit soon I believe.

I dont own it, but I almost bought one 2 years ago... but I think the GUI for it is pretty ugly, however.. its an eclipse and well.. eclipse sounds the best hands down.. im just hoping they come out with a newer one pretty quick with a majoryly re-designed operating system/interface sorta deal.. one that looks a lot more sharp.

#21 ·
here is a photo of the 7301... I know you wanted photos of his install but I dont remember anything being mention of any spectacular custom install, just saw components listed.. and if you wanted to see what the head unit looks like here you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.