Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
D
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people hate these compare turbo threads, because they usually turn into big vs. small lag arguments. I’m not getting a "big" turbo. I want fast spool period. So now with that in mind I was thinking the sp59gt .58 A/R turbo. My goal is 375-ish daily 425-ish occasionally. I will have all the supporting mods. I just would like to know what people think about the turbo or others of the same size. I don’t know the exact price but from what I read it’s around a 1000 bucks and for that kind of money I want to be sure im getting what I want/need.

With supporting mods and proper tuning, any guesses on when I should expect to reach like 14-16 psi? I don’t know much about turbos and how their options like A/R, Trim, inducer size, exducer size affect their spool times and the more I read the more confused I get :(.

Any suggestions welcome. If you would like to break it down for me and learn me somthin ;) I would appreciate that too.

Thanks, Drew

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
If i wanted to know more about the sp59gt, I would call SP and talk to the staff about the turbo. Im sure they can give you much more info than we can.

D
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jewishjalopi said:
If i wanted to know more about the sp59gt, I would call SP and talk to the staff about the turbo. Im sure they can give you much more info than we can.
I was looking for more like do you think this is a good turbo for my needs, any past or current experiences with that turbo. Sorry I should have been clearer about the info I was looking for.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
:stupid:

w/such low power goals i would stick w/a bolt on option and not a full on big T, heck maybe even an upgraded CT if you're feeling spicey.

as for the potential of the full (i.e. NOT bolt on) SP59, here's what my SP57 did @ 20 psi, untuned:

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
wow, thats crazy. Great #'s

D
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
drjonez said:
:stupid:

w/such low power goals i would stick w/a bolt on option and not a full on big T, heck maybe even an upgraded CT if you're feeling spicey.

as for the potential of the full (i.e. NOT bolt on) SP59, here's what my SP57 did @ 20 psi, untuned:
I was under the impression the sp59gt w/ internal waste gate was a bolt on to our stock manifolds? If not than that kinda changes things.

Edit: Not the kit, just the turbo

Another edit: this is the thread I got that impression from:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240942&highlight=sp58gt

D
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drjonez said:
they do make bolt on versions of virtually all their turbos. since you didn't specify "bolt on" i figured you mean the full T4....guess i was wrong.
That’s ok, your dyno charts kinda answered my Qs. Do you think the sp59gt bolt on is bigger than I need for my goals? I like the idea of the upgraded CT, but with everything going back and forth about reliability, I just figured I would stay away from that.

3,796 Posts
I would not recommend an upgraded ct. These new GT turbos spool amazingly quick and can support way more power than a CT. Trust me, 375 will be good for a while but then you'll want more and thats when the CT falls short. Plus the whole reliabilty issure. Do it right the first time....like I should have done.

D
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m definitely gonna go with a SP turbo and the flexibility to up the boost for more hp is nice to have. Could someone suggest an A/R for me? The way I understand it, the lower your A/R the fast the spool, but the less hp you can ultimately produce? According to SPs website they offer A/R .58, .70, .81, or .96 for their turbos.

Specs: I have a full 3" catless exhaust, "intake" with the lexus AFM, im gonna have the manifold port & polished and I will have all the supprting fuels mods of course.

Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
drjonez said:
yeah, really old too....from '03. this is a better comparo- stock turbo @ 14-12 psi and the SP57 @ 9 psi:

which is which?

3,796 Posts
the sp is the one with higher peak hp/less peak tq

D
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So a little update. Larry from SP just told me only the sp61 is a direct bolt on to both the stock dp and manifold. All others come with a new DP and bolt on to the stock manifold. Just an FYI for anyone who didn't know.

·
deadbeat extraordinaire
449 Posts
I'm pretty sure the bolt on units are only available with a .7 A/R hot side. still, go with that over a upgraded ct26.
and why not go with a sp58 bolt on? spool will be a tiny bit better.

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
[email][email protected][/email] said:
So a little update. Larry from SP just told me only the sp61 is a direct bolt on to both the stock dp and manifold. All others come with a new DP and bolt on to the stock manifold. Just an FYI for anyone who didn't know.
Wow, I thought the SP 58 and 59 would be a direct bolt on as well :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts