Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my 2 10JLw3 subs and i need to know how to parrall wire them...ive seen it on my 12w6 but that got stolen so i cant reference it...
also where do you guys buy speaker wire at? like common places...
thanks alot
yeagy

E

·
0 Posts
join all the + together and all the - together, and run them to there corresponding points on the amp.

wire can be bought just about anywhere, but for subs try to stick with 12 gauge or less ----> added insurance

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
well, if their w3's, are you sure you want to run both of them parallel? they're DVC, so that'll drop your impedence to below 1ohm i beleive. Also depends on what impedences the subs are too.

·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would running them in series be better?
and if so i have not a clue as to what series means....

also..ill try to type this out..

if you parrall them, you take +1 to +2 and -1 to -2...then run the wire from the amp only to side 1 of the sub correct?.?.?...cause my box only has one input on it from the amp...
thanks alot
yeagy

·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also...about the wire...i wanted to buy some already for speakers and so forth with the teeth on the ends and all...where can i get that..
thanks
yeagy

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
ok, you kinda got me lossed..... but lemme try to help you with this:

your subs are both dual voice coil, so each speaker as 2 positive(+) and negative (-) terminals. To wire BOTH of your speakers in parallel, you need to connect both (+)'s on each speaker, then connect those 2 together, so basically you'll have 4 positive terminals all wired together, and the same for the negative, then each to the amp.

in a series, you'd connect one of the positives, to the negative on the opposite side, and that wouldleave you with a positive and a negative to run to your amp....

JL's get tricky, cause some of them are meant to be run in a series/parallel config, to get an even 4 ohm load

·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are 2ohm subs...i think im just going to go to like cartoys or something and act like im going to buy some JL subs and have the guy show me how to do everything...
thanks for your help guys
yeagy

E

·
0 Posts
Brian,

So long as your amp can handle (stable) @ 1 0hm, then parallel wire the subs and the speaker wires, resiatnce veries with frequency, plus the JL coils are usually just above 3ohms on ave so they will range from 0.73 to about 1.2 ohms, that seems to be the case that I have found when testing the W3's load on amps.

which means + to + one each sub, - to - each sub. DVC = dual voice coil same for each sub to the amp.

Series wirring is + line comes into positive terminal on the speaker, negitive terminal on the speaker you just applied the positive, now goes to the positive of terminal of the next speaker. Then that negitive goes to the amp.

ie) + from amp ---> input --->+ speaker #1 (coils wired in parallel),
---> output - speaker #1 ---> input ---> + speaker #2 (coils wired in paralel),
---> output - speaker #2 ---> to - return on amp,

Thus a series/parallel wiring for subs if your amp is 2-ohm stable or pushing it for 4 ohm stable.

·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man..that is alot of stuff...thanks so much for your help, i think i will just take all my shit to a car audio guy and ask him to wire it all for me...i think that would be the best for my situation.
thanks again
brian

·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay i tried to draw it out with +'s and -'s and .......to be the wire but the forum messed it all up..so im going to type it out..

(1+ is just a reference same as 2- and so on)
left side of sub has this (L1+)(L2+) (L1-)(L2-)

Right side of sub has this (R1+)(R2+) (R1-)(R2-)

i connected (L 1+) to (R 1+)
Then connected (L 1-) to (R 1-)

This leaves open the whole 2 series of +'s and -'s

now i put the power wire from the amp to (L 2+) and (L 2-) Right?
this is to parrall them...leaving open on the non-amp-power side (R2+) and (R2-)..
thanks
yeagy

·
Banned
945 Posts
Let me try to help.. This will be way more info than you need, but I'd like for you (or anyone) to understand what's actually happening.

First off, volts=current*resistance. (current is your "amps" and resistance in "ohms") Power=voltage*current. And you can substitute into the two equations, so Power=voltage^2/resistance ...
So when people say they have "400 watts into a 4 ohm load", it means the amp is placing 40W across the sub's terminals.

Now to your real question, series and parallel. Current (what makes your sub move) finds the path of the least resistance. Keep that in mind and you'll see the difference...

Series:
It's basically a "break" in the circuit. Say that you have a rope that's too short to reach someone in the water, so to make it longer, you cut the rope and grab both ends. You are now "wired" in series with the rope. In the electric world, it'd look like this...

Power source + ________- +you- +________- power source
In a series wiring, resistance is simply added. For instance..
Amp + ____ +2 Ohm JLW3- ____ +2Ohm JLW3 - ____ -Amp is a 4 ohm load.

Parallel:
A little harder concept, but the same rules apply. To use the rope example, if you were to "wire yourself in parallel", you'd be jumping rope. You would be in contact with both ends. Circuit wise, it looks like this...

Power Source + ___________________
+ +
JLW3 JLW3
- -
Power Source - _____________________

Now in parallel wiring, the total resistance gets more tricky. Most people think you simply half the resistance which is not true. The formula is..
1/Total Resistance=1/Resistance 1+1/Resistance 2+1/Resistance3.... +1/Resistance N

Let's say you hooked two 3 ohm subs in parallel...
1/Total=1/3+1/3=2/3, then flip it, 3/2 ohms.
3, 3ohm subs...
1/Total=1/3+1/3+1/3= 1 ohm.
2 Subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils. Voice coils in series, subs in parallel...
Sub Resistance=4+4=8 ohms, then into parallel--> 1/T=1/8+1/8=2/8-->4 ohms.

So let's take the W3s. You said they are "two ohm subs." What we really need to know is what ohm the voice coils are since they're dual voice coil subs. We'll assume they're two ohm voice coils. Depending on your amp, you'd probably want a 2 ohm total impedence.. Run the voice coils in series and the subs in parallel. So...

(Now I'm going to answer your question, lol)
Sub 1
Amp+ to L1+
L1- to R1+
R1- to Amp-
Sub 2
Sub 1 L2+ to L1+
L1- to R1+
Sub 1 R2- to R1-

Clear as mud? :)

Yeagy said:
okay i tried to draw it out with +'s and -'s and .......to be the wire but the forum messed it all up..so im going to type it out..

(1+ is just a reference same as 2- and so on)
left side of sub has this (L1+)(L2+) (L1-)(L2-)

Right side of sub has this (R1+)(R2+) (R1-)(R2-)

i connected (L 1+) to (R 1+)
Then connected (L 1-) to (R 1-)

This leaves open the whole 2 series of +'s and -'s

now i put the power wire from the amp to (L 2+) and (L 2-) Right?
this is to parrall them...leaving open on the non-amp-power side (R2+) and (R2-)..
thanks
yeagy

·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AZWildcat said:

Clear as mud? :)

thanks for your help..i dont know if i did it right or not, im taking it to my car audio guy and just confessing that im retarded and cant wire subs (and getting wire that isnt ghetto [ie spliced then taped to make it longer heh])
but thanks for your input
yeagy

·
Registered
479 Posts
i got a pic for you, if your amp can be bridge to 1 ohm mono then do this, but remember your amp must be able to do 1 ohm mono.

take a look at the pic. for 2 ohm per voice coil speaker, dual voice setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts