Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a damaged piston and planed to replace the one piston and buy a new piston ring set but my mech said I should go ahead and replace all pistons. My compression was fine on the other pistons just low on the damaged one. The damaged piston's cylinder wall did get scared a bit but the machine shop said they could put in a sleeve and it would be fine. I'm also building up the head and having a lot of other work done to the car, so I'm trying to save money where I can. Here are my options:

Buy 1 new stock piston, piston ring set and re-use old pistons - $60 + $150 = $210
Buy 6 new stock pistons and piston ring set - $360 + $150 = $510
Buy CP piston set = $750

What do you guys think about the sleeve and my options? BTW, I don't ever plan to make more than 800rwhp with this car. Tks

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
If the walls are not damage and the piston to wall clearance are within spec you should be fine with just one new piston if your on a budget. If anything, at least upgrade the rod bolts to arp's.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Faulty fuel pump made the car run lean and took out #6 piston. In result the cylinder wall did get scared a little. The machine shop said they can put in a sleeve and it would be fine. That brings up another question, what are you thoughts of the sleeve?

Added these details to post. Tks

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Don't sleeve it. If that's the case your better off going .20 over. What are your horse power goals. I went with a set of wiseco forged/coated pistons, won't brake the bank and will get the job done. What is the condition of the rods? If the rods are good just get a new set of pistons and reuse the rods with arp bolts if your not going for 900+hp. Most importantly, make SURE your engine builder knows the 2jzgte motor.
FWIW, when I had my egine built I was going to go with a local machine shop which gave me a great price for labor since I had all the parts, only problem was they never built a 2jzgte motor before and had no torque plate to hone the block with. I decided to just pay the extra money and drive the 2 hour to a machine shop known for building 2jzgte motor and had all the right equipment for our engines. Bottom line, all the best parts wont mean anything if the machine shop can't put it together right. Best of luck to your build bud, be patient and don't rush it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
read http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...jz-engine-block-sleeves&p=3155193#post3155193

pay particular attention to this in post 13

sleeving an iron motor doesnt make it any stronger. it really has no effect on anything, except restoring bore size to where it should be. typically no one sleeves 2jz's because they only get built once. also most people who are into imports didnt grow into it. they tend to jump right in. alot of old school ways and tactics are lost becuase this new generation likes to believe everything has to be new and special, pure JDM, trick billet cnc'd junk to be worth anything. no one wants to believe a 25 dollar sleeve will work just as well as buying 2200 dollar short block from the dealer. they want to brag to there buddies about the big expensive short block they just bought..

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The rods were fine, just the one piston and the cylinder wall issue. I will be buying the ARP rod bolts and ACL race bearing set. You guys gave me something to think about.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
if your on a budget just get the Clevites 77 bearings ...or maybe oem also

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts
Just go .020" over with a new set of forged pistons & rods.

You've already got all the labor invested into pulling the motor & taking it apart, might as well do 'good stuff' while you're in there :)

I would also recommend against the sleeving. Sleeves in an iron block makes sense only if that block is rare or cannot be easily replaced, and you do not have the 'meat' in the cylinder walls to overbore it again. Adding that additional failure point for the sake of being cheap just isn't worth it at all in a case like this. Improperly done sleeves can cause many more problems than they solve.
On an uncut 2JZ-GTE block it'd just be insane. Go .020" over and call it a day.

Also - have you figured out what damaged the piston? I'd be sure to address that issue before giving her WOT on a new engine.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just go .020" over with a new set of forged pistons & rods.

You've already got all the labor invested into pulling the motor & taking it apart, might as well do 'good stuff' while you're in there :)

I would also recommend against the sleeving. Sleeves in an iron block makes sense only if that block is rare or cannot be easily replaced, and you do not have the 'meat' in the cylinder walls to overbore it again. Adding that additional failure point for the sake of being cheap just isn't worth it at all in a case like this. Improperly done sleeves can cause many more problems than they solve.
On an uncut 2JZ-GTE block it'd just be insane. Go .020" over and call it a day.

Also - have you figured out what damaged the piston? I'd be sure to address that issue before giving her WOT on a new engine.
Okay, I've decide to go 20 overbore with a new set of CP pistons, ACL bearings, and ARP hardware. I was told that a flaky fuel pump caused the detonation. Tks guys.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i used NPR... arnt the toyota ones NPR anyway??
I thought so too, but I've read that Toyota rings are better for high hp applications so I'm confused now. It would be nice to know since it's almost $100 difference in price.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pretty sure they are... the toyota logo on the box always costs about $100. as a toyota owner you should know that, lol
Yea, your right. How long have you been on the NPR rings and how much power are you making?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
still in the build process atm. we use them at work. (i work in a performance engine shop) and we are happy to use them for just about all applications where appropriate.
Since I'm going overbore the NPR's are not an option and the CP's come with their own rings, not sure what I was thinking. Good info to know though. Tks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts