Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal, I was employed to pick up a 1993 Toyota Supra and deliver it back from Houston, TX to South Dakota. My best friend saved up a lot of money to get his dream car. So, I agreed and took the journey. The car was in an Exotic Collision repair shop in Houston, TX. I didn't suspect a thing as there were Lambo's, Nissan GTR's and other vehicles being modified. The car was spotless, 76k km and all the paperwork and everything seemed to check out. The owner of the car told me that the car was imported to Florida and then all the imported documentation, admissions testing and everything else seemed in order with the Florida title. The only thing that seemed a little funky was that the owner in Texas never registered the vehicle in his name, the title was an open title from Florida. Everything seemed to all work out, we got dealer plates and drove it back to South Dakota with no problem. My buddy's mom wanted to go over the paperwork, (now this is where the story takes a turn for the worst) my buddy's mom is fully disabled and has memory loss, she misplaced the paperwork, and we haven't been able to find it since. So we have been taking action through the Department of Motor Vehicles to figure everything out to title this car. Turns out this car was never registered in the United States of America. There is no VIN number on the car, only a Model #, and I believe that the car was a grey market car that came over to the United States before the 25 year mark. We've been doing everything to try and get an abandoned or lost title for the vehicle, we've sent many pieces of mail to the business the vehicle was at, and to the owner in Texas with no replies at all. I don't want my buddy to have been screwed over out of all of his money. Is there anybody out there with any advice, or can anyone help at all?

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,244 Posts
your best bet would probably contact any of the jdm import places, and see if they can help you guys out. Given that the car is 25 years old, maybe you can re-register it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts