Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just ran into this young guy. That has a 90 Twin Turbo Z. He's out of money and is needing to sell the car badly. He blew his engine from running through a puddle in the Rain, and his Ram Air Intake sucked up a bunch of water. The car is in Excellent condition. 5-speed, T-Top, White w/ Red Leather. How easy is it to find these TT engines or get it rebuilt? Whats a good price on a non running TT but with a great body and interior. Also a bunch of Mods, Exhaust, Chip/ECU, Intake, etc...

Would it be worth me buying and then fixing up? I know some of you here has had experience with these cars or at least know about them. What would you do? Thanks.

·
Never fast enough
331 Posts
Just a fyi...the engine is hydrolocked but there might be a chance that the engine is okay if he hasn't tried to turn it over too many times.

It may only need minor work or it could need a complete rebuild, you may want to find out first.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy said he'll sell it for $2.5k.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
sounds like a decent deal for $2.5k

tho the car is a BITCH to work on... trust me on that :) i know personally :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
did he throw a rod? or is it just locked up? try taking out the plugs, sucking out the water and see if he threw a rod, or just locked it up... and yes the Z's engine bay are reallly tight.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But surely an Engine, if the one is completely ruined, are not that expensive? Like a JDM Engine? I've seen them for around $1500 or a little more. So to swap in a new engine shouldn't be too much trouble. Right? Thanks guys. Keep the opinions coming.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own an 1991 300zx N/A and to put that engine isn't hard work to somebody whom knows what they are doing. But to drop the engine in isn't gonna be hard, but its gonna run you, like any engine would to be dropped into a car. Just try to find someone who specializes in 300zx's or specializes in Turbo cars.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think that's a great deal for a 90 ZTT with a bad engine!! If you don't wanna buy it let me know, because I would LOVE to have a Z in the US since it looks like i'll be visiting there very often.

·
Registered
19 Posts
generally z32's with red interior sell for far less than comparable z's with either grey,blue, or black interior. personally i don't like the red interior. but if it doesn't matter to you then i say go for it.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hedg21 said:
generally z32's with red interior sell for far less than comparable z's with either grey,blue, or black interior. personally i don't like the red interior. but if it doesn't matter to you then i say go for it.
Yeah, really that's my biggest concern with this car. I may look into changing the dash and seats. I saw a picture of a White/Red Int and it didn't look that good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the interior might look bad, but thats a pretty damn good deal. how many miles are on the car? jdm vg30dett motors are said to have 280 instead of 300hp but perform the same. youre looking at 1500-1800 for a decent jdm vg30 motor. for that price, i'd be all over it. after replacing the motor, you could resell it for $9-10k. 90 models are known to have some mechanical problems like the mushrooming valves that were revised for 91+ models.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I'm aware of the 90 problems. So I'll be sure to find an engine 92-93. And they are around $1500-$1800. The car only has about 110k miles on it. So from what he said it's in pretty good condition. When I get pics I may post them on here. And if the body's decent and the interior, I will definately jump on this deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts