Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it for $3500 had about $500 worth of work so far fixing a valve cover gasket now found that there is a knock in 1st gear under 3k due to the last guy letting it get 3quarts low.. :nervous: - But im thinking about keeping the car it has 197k on the motor it has had some head work done already so im not to worried about the HG blowing. Turbo spools well no real huge issues just need some wires fixed nothing huge but ive noticed at cold idle it idles very low about 800rpm and sputters bad even after warming up same thing if i drive it for awhile turn the car off then turn it back on (like going to the store and coming out) it will start then sputter and die unless i give it some gas then its fine. Suggestions?

Also what maint at this point would you all suggest i do to get the car up and running as best as i can.

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
800 rpm is kind of high actually. Sputtering could be anything ignition, plugs, wires, timing, and even oil from your valve cover in the plug valley. The rod knock, you might as well tear the thing down. To get the piston and rod out for inspection you'll have to take the head off so might as well do that again too. Best bet is to find another GTE in the for sale section and swap it out. Cheaper and less headache.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
800 rpm is kind of high actually. Sputtering could be anything ignition, plugs, wires, timing, and even oil from your valve cover in the plug valley. The rod knock, you might as well tear the thing down. To get the piston and rod out for inspection you'll have to take the head off so might as well do that again too. Best bet is to find another GTE in the for sale section and swap it out. Cheaper and less headache.
I see i can get a new 7M-GTE for about 1500 i know the 1jz is going to cost ALOT more than that plus to get it installed ... mother of god i hate my life.

·
Frozen Lake Driver
1,284 Posts
i had the same problem with starting it warm then it dieing and it happened to be the piece of rubber that connects the 3000 pipe the the throttle body it had cracked and broken on the bottom of it which was causeing air to leak in but it would only do it when it was warm, maybe check that out could be a little thing making something seem like a big problem good luck with it

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah i would pull plugs and the small stuff first about the sputter but i gone through 5 gte motors and i would just say swap it for another gte motor its worth i t in the long run your bottom end is pretty much done so get that worked on and maybe by doing that you'll fix the sputtering problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
swap is the way to go, i went through 3 7m's in no time and they were all brand new from Jasper, they kept having headgasket issues. I personally went for the 2J which is way more but you can do a 1JZ for a decent price and in the long run, it might be worth all the headache and hassle of dealing with yours, just my personal preference though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts