Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions on repairing this crack on the front bumper on the passenger side. It looks like it's been split open near the crease. The only way to see it is from the angle I took the pics, so it's not too conspicuous. I just want that thing closed. I was hoping that I can just take it to a body shop, have them seal it up and I can just touch it up since it's not too obvious of an area. Not looking for perfection.

I asked a body repair shop guy and he said that there was no way he can just close it up. The only way is to seal the crack and repaint the entire bumper. I mean I don't need it perfect looking, which he was probably going for, I just wanted it closed.

Anyone know the best way to seal the crack without having to repaint the entire bumper? Probably some body repair experts can chime in? Thanks

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
I wonder what caused the crack, the proper way to repair it would require removing the bumper,grind, prep the damaged area ,apply Duramix 4040 while reinforcing the crack from the inside,sand, prime, and spot paint ,I've done dozens and dozens of open blends and small spots and this would be a very easy to spot paint for someone who knows how,try another shop, make sure to ask them to use a good quality plastic repair adhesive,I can tell you that stock Supra bumpers are made out of the worst possible plastic, which don't like to be repaired, not many adhesives adhere to it, so adhesion promoter would help before applying the adhesive, good luck

Stefan

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I just took my car to another place for a 2nd opinion. They won't touch the plastic for some reason and refused to work on it. Didn't make much sense. Well, guess I will just have the thing repainted, unless I find someone with a black front bumper to sell locally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts