Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I did some searching but wanted to confirm my assumptions. I had let the car sit for about 3 weeks (stupid me) without starting it. I have done this before and I knew the battery would be dead and it was. When you turn the key nothing happens at all. The car does not try to turn over nor do any interior lights come on. I still had the warranty from the place I got it from so I had the battery replaced for free and the car started up fine. I drove it the whole day and then let the car sit for a week. I went to start it today and once again nothing would happen with the key in the ignition. I checked to see if the 120amp fuse was still intact and it was. I am under the presumptions that my alternator needs to be replaced. I have never had this problem before. It would always take 3 weeks or more for the battery to be completely drained. My car is a 93 with 58k miles in it also. Thanks in advance.

carlo

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
im having the exact same problem... thing is when i jump start it and let the battery charge, the battery dosent charge. so obviously the battery is bad. but if the alternator was bad and at the same time the battery was dead (not charging due to a bad alternator at the same time) wouldnt the car just die all together?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you want to test if the alternator is bad, its really simple. Replace the batter, or charge it... whatever you need to do to start the car. Once its started, turn off all the electronic devices that you can, i.e. radio, headlights, etc. Then disconnect the negative (the black, or - side). If the car dies within 5 or 6 seconds, its your alternator that has gone bad. If the car still runs after the 5 or 6 second interval, then its your battery. Simple test thats pretty much always right, but you have to make sure your not consuming a lot of electricity.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply...im thinking its my alternator as it my battery brand new and died within a week. When i get a new battery in i will try that test.

carlo

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ok, first thing you have to look at is the out side temp and Ca has being cold ( it depends where in Ca you are),so the colder the temp the shorter the battery life.I the alternater is bad you would get the red battery light comes on in the dash,also if the alternater is not charging the battery if you drive around longer than than the ampere hour of the battery the car would die because your driving around with the radio on and the fuel pump is running.
So your best opsion is to get a battery tender if the car is going to sit for long.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Go to a shop and have it tested !
Any good alternator, starter shop will check this for you, FREE. Why guess........
Cold in Calif, hahahahahahahaha thats funny!! Battery life isn't affected by the cold but its power or amperage can be. I've used batteries for 7 years here where it actually does get COLD!

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
Something may be pulling on the battery when the car is not on. Charge the battery, unhook the neg. cable and let it sit for a week. Put it back on and check it. If it fires up, something is pulling when the car is off. If it doesnt crank, more than likely the battery is dead. I just went through this, one day after the car sat for 2 weeks the battery died. I charged it and it did it again, so I replaced the battery, no more problems since then.

Jason

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
actually the cold does make a difference. and just like hotsoup said check for a drain. do this buy turning off your car and all electronics then disconnect the net terminal and connect a test light to the cable and put the other side of the test light to the neg. terminal. if the light doesn't go out then you have a drain. it might take a couple seconds for the light to go out because the capicators have to discharge.
and another thing never disconnect the battery when the car is running, that will send voltage spikes through your elec. system and ofcourse thats not good.
just go get it tested, most places do it for free. but i'm guessing its the cold. you might want to look into getting a battert tender.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If it doesnt crank, more than likely the battery is dead.
Clean off the terminals. Is the battery old? It's possible the battery was drained to far. You might have to get a new one. It's not the alternator.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys for the help. The battery I just put in the car is BRAND NEW and is now dead after a week. I will try to check if there is anything pulling voltage from the battery. But my question is if there was some source draining the battery I would have had this issue before correct? In the 4 years of owning this particular supra this issue never arose after letting the car sit for just one week and I also have not added any new electronic equipment.

carlo

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
supralover93 said:
actually the cold does make a difference. and just like hotsoup said check for a drain. do this buy turning off your car and all electronics then disconnect the net terminal and connect a test light to the cable and put the other side of the test light to the neg. terminal. if the light doesn't go out then you have a drain. it might take a couple seconds for the light to go out because the capicators have to discharge.
and another thing never disconnect the battery when the car is running, that will send voltage spikes through your elec. system and ofcourse thats not good.
just go get it tested, most places do it for free. but i'm guessing its the cold. you might want to look into getting a battert tender.
hope that helps.

The last time i check saw the weather certain part of Ca had snow/heavy rains and 40 to 50degs and that was last week.So i guess Ca does not get cold

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
well when i get out of work right now its about 35-40 deg. and thats enough to weaken my exide blue top. my battery gets very weak just just barely starts, has juust enough power but in warmer weather i have no problems at all.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,448 Posts
Carlo, do not pull the negative terminal!! Many people give that advice, I don't recommend it unless you want problems. Disconnecting the battery will subject the voltage regulator (and computer and audio equipment...) to significant voltage spikes which may cause an otherwise good alternator to fail. Even if there were no damaging spikes, this test would not indicate whether or not the alternator was good because the engine will easily run with a weak or failing alternator.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike-thanks for the heads up about pulling the negative terminal. I will be sure not to do that.

carlo

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
11,219 Posts
jam98tt said:
Do you have a 6 speed or auto?When my car was still under warranty my friend at the dealer change out my 6speed one which is rated at 90amps and up the auto one in which is rated at 110amps.You can get a highout one here.

http://verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=alternatorscontinued&uid=14000&returnURL=http://verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/common/sitesearch.nhtml?query=supra&catuid=12942
hmm... why would the manual get a lower one from stock?

·
11,219 Posts
XimmortalsorrowX said:
If you want to test if the alternator is bad, its really simple. Replace the batter, or charge it... whatever you need to do to start the car. Once its started, turn off all the electronic devices that you can, i.e. radio, headlights, etc. Then disconnect the negative (the black, or - side). If the car dies within 5 or 6 seconds, its your alternator that has gone bad. If the car still runs after the 5 or 6 second interval, then its your battery. Simple test thats pretty much always right, but you have to make sure your not consuming a lot of electricity.

I did this trick, and the car still idled fine with the ground removed from the battery (I took it off for like 15 secs, I guess that should be long enough). And I'm pretty sure my battery is good, what else could be the problem?

My battery will like die if I don't start the car every week and let it run for like 30 mins.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts