Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of removing my old stock twins to replace with low mileage ones. I'm trying to remove the exhaust gas control valve. The 2 nuts were easy to get off but the 3rd one nearest the 2nd turbo is a pain! can anyone recommend a way to get that nut off. I can get wrench in there but don't have any leverage.

rom

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try the flex socket tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
use PB Blaster to remove rusted bolts, works alot better than WD-40, also I had to remove my turbos with the egcv still attached, good luck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sprayed on WD-40 befere I called it quits today. Does the EGCV need to be removed in order to remove the turbos/manifold. I'm removing the EGCV to make it easier to get to the bottom nuts on the manifold.

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
i don't think you need to remove the egcv but i beleive you need to remove the brace that holds the turbos to the engine. I beleive i also had to remove the oil return line of the second turbo to get there.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
you can take the whole stock twin assembly out with the egcv still connected

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Um...grab some PB Blaster and let it sit for a few minutes...I wouldn't use too much muscle afterwards though.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Getting the bottom manifold nuts with the egcv in the way is extremely difficult. Keep working on the last nut. Last time I had to remove that nut I found a combination with the rachet where I could brace the head of the rachet up against the under body of the car. Then with a piece of pipe on the rachet handle you can get enough leverage. It went something like socket, swivel, 3" extension, rachet. There might have been another swivel in there between the extension and rachet. 1/2" tools if I remember right.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
When I still had my twins I had them out a number of times. Go buy a short stubby 14mm open ended wrench. It will give you enough room to get it on the nut and turn it, however you will not get a ton of leverage, hence where the pb blaster or wd 40 comes into play.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts