Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my timing belt gave way on my mk2 and i need some help.

first off i want to make sure that my engine is a noninterference engine im pretty sure it is but i wanna make sure.

second is there a way i can make sure my timing is set correctly without pulling the valve covers? it was running and the belt only lost some teethe so the cams should be on time with eachother but im not sure where they are in the firing order. any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
get a chiltons book it tells you everything. Just lign the dot of the cam gears with the cover and put the crank at tdc and you should be all good.

Lawrence

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so the only place the holes line up is if its on the power stroke of cyl 1? i just want to make sure cause its alot of work getting the cover off and ack on. i have a haynes manual which has that diagram but i just want to make sure.
one other question to make sure the belt is tight what is the best way to make sure its tight?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Ive taken the head off a 5m about 50 times .lol and yes when the dots are lined up to the marks on the cover the crank should be at tdc. Just take the spark plug out of #1 and verify it is at tdc. put the belt on and with the spring holding the pressure to the timing tensioner i give it a small amount of force and then tighten the 17mm bolt (I think I remember) to the tensioner and as long as the distributor hasnt been pulled you should be good to go.

lawrence

1 - 5 of 5 Posts