Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my DD is a 97 chrysler sebring coupe (Mitsu 2.5l SOHC V6 6g73) and I replaced the water pump and timing belt and I tried to set the timing but I KNOW something is off as I can't complete a full rotation of the crankshaft. It's an interference motor so if this gets screwed up my motor is toast. With the belt only on the cams (so they'd be in the same timing position) I was rotating them with the crankshaft to get everything set to TDC. I got my crankshaft there and once I did I started to move my cams forward to their timing marks and now they've stopped at about 180 degrees opposite of their timing marks! If anybody's up to make some quick cash and come out and help me get this done LMK- there will also be a cold case of beer availailable during the work!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump! i really need this done yesterday! busing it to work sucks balls.

·
Banned
945 Posts
This is a little confusing... There's a firing event every 120 degrees of rotation. I don't see why you wouldn't have some interference with the cams 180 degrees off. Why is that a problem?

Normally you never want to rotate the camshaft/crank on an interference motor independently (for the reason you just discovered, and because you can bend valves by hand).

You're going to have to spin them, gently, until they're both re-indexed, like a puzzle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts