Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Official SF BS Detector
Joined
·
222 Posts
I would bet that the corner of the block that is broken was caused by sloppy building. If your not carefull with the silicone on the oil pan and enough gets pushed into the bolt hole, when you install the bolt, you will have a hydrolic lock. If you ram the bolt in with an impact instead of by hand, it will pop a piece of the block out to relieve the pressure. I have never seen a block fresh from Toyota with that issue. I have however seen several blocks that have been cracked in various areas due to silicone compression in blind bolt holes.

If the cylinder in question is scored to where you can feel it with your fingers, that cylinder is no good. At a bare minimum you would need to replace that piston, the rings, and have that cylinder honed again. This will result in lower compression in that cylinder and excessive blow by. To fix it "right" you would need to bore the motor to .030 - .040" and use a whole new set of pistons.
 

· The need for speed
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
Sorry to hear about the block :( And with what others said, what good is a guarantee? If anything, make him sign an agreement saying he will pay for a new shortblock if this one is damaged after you get it running... But from the pictures of the block it looks like it has other serious problems.

Did the owner give you pictures of the block before you bought it? Did he ever mention the crack/welding on the block and the wall damage?
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
mav7 said:
Did the owner give you pictures of the block before you bought it? Did he ever mention the crack/welding on the block and the wall damage?

No Like a dumb ass I went off his perfect seller/buyer feedback. It was described as a brand new fresh shortblock right from toyota bored 20 over with pistons and rods. It was said to have some other things done to it too.He even told me to check it when it came off the truck because it was not a scratch on it and in perfect condition. :dunno: I thought I was doing him a favor by taking a built motor off his hands since he needed money and I needed a built motor. Backfired on me numerous ways!

He was to have called me back tonight(Tuesday) and let me know what is going to happen. I told him I don't want the block and it is not an option. I haven't heard from him yet tonight. I am not trying to be a hard ass.This is drawing out too long. I should have had my car running by now!
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,054 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
No Like a dumb ass I went off his perfect seller/buyer feedback. It was described as a brand new fresh shortblock right from toyota bored 20 over with pistons and rods. It was said to have some other things done to it too.He even told me to check it when it came off the truck because it was not a scratch on it and in perfect condition. :dunno: I thought I was doing him a favor by taking a built motor off his hands since he needed money and I needed a built motor. Backfired on me numerous ways!

He was to have called me back tonight(Tuesday) and let me know what is going to happen. I told him I don't want the block and it is not an option. I haven't heard from him yet tonight. I am not trying to be a hard ass.This is drawing out too long. I should have had my car running by now!
Josh sorry this happened to you. This guy is obviously a true POS. How could he not disclose the welding job of a 5yr old and scoring of the cylinder wall? You’re not a dumbass for going off his rating; hell the guy stated it was a fresh block. IMO put this guy out there. We have to be made aware of people like this.
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We have come to an agreement and in 2 weeks he said he will have my money back to me. Hopefully all goes well and this happens as he says. I truely think if he hadn't owed the money to the shop he would have paid me already. That is why I am not "giving" the seller up. He is trying to make the situation right. In 2 weeks I;ll know. I will keep updateing. As long and I get my money back I see no need to ruin someones rep, as he would be correcting the situation.

It's good to know that there is a lot of support on this forum :bigthumb:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Josh M said:
I remember reading your story about the methanol injection problem. You always seem so understanding about everything and just go with the flow.
That's because I don't think Josh properly understands the concept of anger... :hahano:... He'll crush you with kindness :wtflol:

Honestly though, haven't really ever met anyone so willing to help, or so desperate to stay out of the middle of things. Public thanks for the spare usage, and shoot me a call later on - Might be headed to Hanover this weekend, and I think you need cross over to the Automatic Darkside... :sadwavey:

~Nick
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
cybercyde said:
I think you need cross over to the Automatic Darkside... :sadwavey:

~Nick

Never....!!!! :stickpoke
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
He got the block back about a week and a half ago. We agreed to a reduced amount to be given back to me so I could "move on". He was to have the money in 1-2 weeks. I left him a message yesterday and one today. Still waiting on an update from him. Hopefully he'll call me today.
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
On a sidenote though I have already received new wisco pistons .20 over and new eagle rods and clevite bearings to rebuild my original block. So I am out tat money plus the money for the other block :dunno: . It is kind of scary!
 

· The need for speed
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
On a sidenote though I have already received new wisco pistons .20 over and new eagle rods and clevite bearings to rebuild my original block. So I am out tat money plus the money for the other block :dunno: . It is kind of scary!

Why are you building your original block? Did it end up letting go on you with the single turbo, or are you just looking for an excuse to keep the car down this summer? :p

With that said, you coming to Modified Madness in PA???
Hope to see you there,

mike
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
mav7 said:
With that said, you coming to Modified Madness in PA???
Hope to see you there,

mike
I hope this gets straightened out and you get your $$ back.. I mean how can you NOT see that weld job and the scoring.. but if he is trying to make the situation ight thats cool.. just watch it.. I hope it doesnt bite you in the ass since he has the block and your waiting on $$.

That pisses me off that I wont be able to make it to Modified Madness or custom compact or what ever they want to call it this year.... Figures.. I'll be in Dayton, OH that weekend.... Oh well.. Have fun guys and good luck with the refund
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If I had my car back I would be there Mike,but it doesn't look good to get it doe by then. We'll see. If it gets done I need to put some miles on the new motor to tune the AEM for higher boost and that would definitely put some miles on it.
 

· The need for speed
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
Well either way good luck with the car... We should have a little supra meet for all supra owners coming to the event, even if they don't bring their car!

I hope everything works out and you get most of your money back... I just found out the previous owner of a car I just bought rolled back the odometer... it just sucks and shows that you can't trust anyone anymore :(
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
mav7 said:
Well either way good luck with the car... We should have a little supra meet for all supra owners coming to the event, even if they don't bring their car!

I hope everything works out and you get most of your money back... I just found out the previous owner of a car I just bought rolled back the odometer... it just sucks and shows that you can't trust anyone anymore :(

Thanks, That sucks what kind of car is it?
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Still waiting....... He returned my PM yesterday and let me know that he will hopefully have my $ soon. :dunno:
 

· hardtopper
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here we are a little mone than 1 full month after I've paid for this motor and It has been since may 17th since I have heard anything on my refund :( . I am becoming very disappointed...:sadwavey:
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,054 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
Here we are a little mone than 1 full month after I've paid for this motor and It has been since may 17th since I have heard anything on my refund :( . I am becoming very disappointed...:sadwavey:
Josh it’s time to “let the cat out of the bag”.. This guy isn’t very motivated right now b/c he has your money and his motor. Letting us know who he is isn’t a bad thing and he shouldn’t take it as such… seeing as to how he is “trying” to make things right. :dunno:
 
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top