Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 6Speed(V160?)

Votes: 7 87.5%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Supra Ricer
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I need some opinions on what I should plan on doing. I just bought a 93.5 Auto NA hardtop car. The car has some decent miles on it, and the transmission(more like the TC) vibrates on take off but clears up right away. I will be taking it apart soon anyway and atleast replacing the TC. Now, I really don't like the idea of driving an auto car. I have one for a daily driver and that is all I need for auto cars. I will be going NA-T in the very near future, and prolly decently big. My goal is something like 500whp or so, but chances are I will want to go bigger after I get there haha. I had a 400hp DSM so if I have a Supra that doesn't make atleast that much, I'll feel bad, and the fact that DaveH has already rubbed off on me too much lol. Now, I am thinking about doing a tranny swap, but I am stuck on what to actually go with. I realize the 6spd is DAMN spendy, especially going from an auto, but I don't think the W58 will be good enough for my power hungry ideas. I already lived through 2 cars with "glass trannies", being scared to shift too hard. When I was doing searching today, I found the BL kit for the R154 and that made the decision even harder. Is that tranny really worth the price or not? I have considered the built auto thing but I don't think I am ready for that yet. Let me know your .02...

Thanks in advance,
Tony

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Looks like the BL kit for the R154 is the best bang for the buck. 6spd will cost you (new) 5K for the trans, 1900 for the rear, 500 for the drive shaft, at least 1000 for a clutch, several hundred for the pedal/hydrolicks. Going through Toyota and finding someone to install it all is really expensive...$10,000.

If you can find the stuff used and do it all yourself, I'd expect you to pay: 2300 for used tranny, 1200 used rear, 300 used DS, maybe 200 for pedal/hydrolics. I don't think you'll find all this stuff very quickly though. This would be around $5K give or take.

BL kit, I'm guessing after everything $3k or a little more. Other can chime in.

W58, I did the swap from auto to this for $1300 (this included the clutch). I think I got really good deals on all the parts used though so it may be hard for you to do it that cheap. I'm sure it would cost you a lot less than $2K to do this swap, if you do labor yourself.

If you're patient, the parts pop up from time to time. I recently bought a v160,DS,Rear end, and FW from a guy locally for a decent price. He was parting out a wrecked car so I was lucky to find all the parts at one place.

If I were you, I'd get the R154. The W58 may take 500rwhp if you're easy on it...but probably not. R154 WILL take that power from what I've heard.

·
Supra Ricer
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks that was even more than I was expecting! I was just expecting a little opinion here and there! Is the 6spd worth 2k more or not?

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
the problem is finding a good condition 6 speed. IMHO, they are selling more than they're worth right now. IMHO, go with a R154 transmission that is rebuilt with stronger thrustwasher, etc..it's lighter than the getrag too ;-). I recently rode in Gamimnon's supra with Boost Logic's R154 kit and was impressed with the acceleration and especially with how smooth and quick the R154 shifts. I'm convinced with the R154 and will try to upgrade to the Boost Logic R154 kit when I turn the power up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts