Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Na-T
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the situation,

I own a 94 NA supra that I am currently in the process of going Na-T (should be boosted by june-ish). It has 175k miles on it and I plan on rebuilding the engine to make it fresh again so I can run higher boost without having to worry to much about the engine. I also own a Scion tC that is my DD that I drive back and forth from school in while my Supra stays in hibernation at home.

I was thinking about selling the tC once summer comes and taking the money I make from that and paying off my Supra completely, leaving me with a few thousand left in the bank from the sale. With the money left over I would freshen up the supra making things like new again (Engine, Suspension, Interior, ect...). The car overall is in very good condition for 175k miles. Only a few squeaks out of my left rear strut, The leather seats showing a little bit of age, and the motor having such high mileage on it are the things I would take care of.

I think it would be cool if I could drive my Supra everyday because It sucks being a few hours away from home and only being able to drive my supra a few times during the school year. Especially when it is finally Na-T, driving a 350+whp car everyday would be awesome. But ive been thinking about it and I run into people telling me that i should keep both because the supra isnt a car that you should Daily drive. Their reason is because Its a supra and its an older car less reliable car.

My plan when I bought the Supra was to pay it off over the next few years and then sell my tC when I got outta school to buy a newer DD. But as time goes on and im stuck at school driving my tC wishing I could be driving my supra gets old. The tC is a nice car and I like it but it just gets boring and I hate pulling up to a red light and seeing 5 other tC's at the same light.

The tC is an 05 only has 40k miles and is under warranty untill next January. It is a good DD bc its good on gas and very reliable. But its not my supra. People tell me that I shouldnt DD the supra because its out of warranty and its old and things will break. I have heard of those Extended warrantees you can buy that if anything breaks on the car the warranty company covers it. You have to pay monthly, but it isnt that much and if im at school and something were to happen and i dont have my tools with me It would be covered free of charge to get it fixed.

With the depreciation of the tC I also feel I would be able to get alot more for it now then I would in a few years after I graduate. So I would end up loosing money if I keep the tC untill its 8 or 9 years old and then trying to sell it instead of selling it while it is at 4 years and still under warranty and in excellent condition. I have absolutely babied that car.

Its hard for me to keep a car that I love driving 2 hours away where Im not able to drive it. I feel though that cars are made to be driven and I wanna do that with the Supra but I am unable to except when I go back home.

I see both sides of keeping both cars and selling the tC and DD the NA-T supra. But im not sure if it would be smart to DD a Supra, for that fact that it is a Supra. Even though I want too.

When I rebuild the engine and freshen up everything so its like new, do you think it would be a reliable DD even when Its NA-T? Even if it is ok to DD do you think I should do it? Or do you think I should just keep the tC and keep the Supra in hibernation in the Garage untill I get back form school?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
All I can tell you is that my lease for my 06 2.0T Passat is up in May.
From that point on, I plan on DDing my NA-T. Now it has 74K miles on it, but it's also been a track car for most of it's like, and has no daily driving amenities, liiike windsheild washers, or AC, or HEAT for that matter ( it's supposed to, but doesnt ).

It's going to take work, but I do plan on daily driving this sucker.

It's up to you, if you have a parent or girlfriend where you could use their car IF! something happens to yours, it would probably be ok to ditch the TC, but if not... Hang on to it, if you don't have any more payments.

I live in NY, so my Supra's daily duties will stop in late october, and then it's most likely winter beater, or if GM is still in existance, I'll see if they will sell a car for a Song. :]

Good luck man, you can make it reliable, just ask how to do it, and what your goals are.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would keep the Supra and maybe get a 1500 dollar car for the winter/When your supra is in the shop( I don't know how bad winters get in NC) but in the Northeast it gets bad I stop driving my supra in Early/Mid October and start driving it again in mid march. A NA/T Supra can be a very reliable DD when done right it's just as ukno0003 says it depends on your power goals and what you wanna do. a 350hp DD is very obtainable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I daily drive my NA-T. It has been very reliable, just as it was when it was NA. I've had it for 5 years and nothing major has ever gone wrong with it. I suppose the higher mileage is something to consider, but Im sure there are others on here with high mileage NA-Ts.

Also, how far do you drive to school? Obviously if you go turbo, gas mileage will take a hit. So that's something to consider.

I love driving my supra everyday, and I wouldnt have it any other way. It was meant to be driven. After all, whats the point of life if you cant do the things you love? Just my 2cents.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
i have a daily driver to get me to uncc and back, but other then not wanting to pay a lil extra for gas, and worrying about leaving it in the parking lot all day, i daily drive my na-t almost any chance i get, actually any chance i get. drive it to work everytime, stores, out, so you can call mine a DD. Only thing you need is a really good reliable tune and you'll be fine. being a toyota its already more reliable then most cars out, and being a supra there isnt much you will have to fix even if you daily drive it.

i say go for it man, why let it sit tehre? its already got 170k+ miles on it, so obviously you wont care about a lil extra, right? so why the hell not man? i say go for it.

·
Ninja
952 Posts
STFU, sell the TC upgrade the necessary parts, and drive your NA-T beast, its a fucking toyota, the only way u will break it is if you dont take care of it, and treat it like shit, if u baby it like the TC if not better, it iwll be fine as a daily driver, now concerning the NA-T part, make sure its done right without going the cheap way, and youll be set!

·
95 SUPRA NA-T
204 Posts
STFU, sell the TC upgrade the necessary parts, and drive your NA-T beast, its a fucking toyota, the only way u will break it is if you dont take care of it, and treat it like shit, if u baby it like the TC if not better, it iwll be fine as a daily driver, now concerning the NA-T part, make sure its done right without going the cheap way, and youll be set!
What I was going to say.

·
Na-T
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I was thinking. I would think it would be fine. ANd its good to hear that others DD their NA-T's for years without problems. I dont have to worry about winters here down in NC I think we have gotten like 5 inches of snow total in the last like 4 years form a total of like 5 snows if that. The weather is pretty good all year round.

Roman: I think the same thing man, Im kinda worried about bringing it to a school parking lot or leaving it at my apartment complex. But i am transfering schools next year so I will be in a better area then where im at. If i end up DD it im going to put a good ass security system in it. And your right It already has 175k miles on it, whats it going to matter if I put more. Im going to rebuild it or swap blocks anyways. Does Ed DD his supra? And how do you think I should go about tuning my Na-T? Should I take it somewhere or try to do it myself with a little help? Im going the same route that greg went. Prob with the Apexi Safc ii and the apexi avc-r for my BC, cause he seems to have no problems with his NA-T.

Im not too worried about gas mileage, having no car payment will cancel that out. And i wont mind it. At least my car will be fun to drive.

Beau: Ive got no payments on the tC but I do have payments on the Supra. The payments on the Supra aren't bad at all but selling the tC would pay off the Supra and put cash in my pocket to upgrade the Supra.

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
167 Posts
Like others said before, if you get a good reputable shop to do the work for you then your set. Once its done right, especially with a fresh engine, it will be as reliable as the TC. You went get the gas mileage you would with the TC, but you will get speed, a sexy looking ride, the envy of other drivers, and the "feel good" feeling you get when driving your supra.

On the other hand, I have a 94 na-t with 201k miles as my DD and has been pretty good for me. I am currently running on low boost, 7 psi, but I have plans for a rebuild or swap a "younger" engine and turn up to boost and continue to DD my supra.

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
I was going to daily drive my supra but I got a 1991 Eagle Talon AWD TSI for $700 w/ a brand new engine, transmission, transfer case, interior and spare parts (including another engine).

I would have to be brain dead to pass up on that deal.

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Great DD as long as its done right.. I would not DD an NA-T without the AEM, it works but its just not what it could be..

·
Na-T
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the input. Im not goin to make any move on selling the tC untill I get back from school this may. I was just tryin to get the views of others on DDing my Supra. I would love to be able to DD my Supra. It sucks not being able to drive it for months at a time. Within the last 5 weeks it has been driven once for 15 min's because I asked my dad to start it for me and rive it around a little to get it running. Ill get to drive it one day next week though because im able to come home for 1 day of spring break but then I have to go back because of games. I wouldnt let just any shop rebuild the engine in my supra. I am going to pick a reputable place to have it done at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts