Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty. I got a 86.5 with the whole package. Burgundy wit Burgundy leather. Awesome condition just needs some cosmetic fixes. An it only costed me $500! My plan is to temporarily drop a JDM 7MGE motor in it while im overhauling the motor that came with the car.

What I want to do is, in the process of overhauling, convert it to turbo at the same time... Its strictly a personal project and dont care how long it takes because I plan on makin this Supra Show quality in due time.

What Im lookin for is some good pointers as to where I should start my research so I can start planning this project. Like what should I keep in mind when I am having the machine work done? Ill worry about all the electrical and accessories later unless someone may have input for me on that also.

So far this is what I got:
-keep the N/A cams and have them and the crank polished at the shop.
-resurface the cylinder head and get full valve job at the shop
-resleeve block.

---please anything I should add...???
---anyone have any good links they could recommend me for this project? Or even some good searches on these forums that may help me... I scour them so dont think Im lookin for a handout. Just hook it up wit some direction

This is my second 86.5 MKIII and I plan to keep this one. Last one was impounded and couldnt afford the fees until it was already auctioned.

Thanks in advance.

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
WHy drop in another 7mge :dunno: Doing a na-t conversion is pretty pointles in my opinion, especially if you are pulling the motor out anyway....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
having done the turbo conversion (and broken everything in the process) i can give you plenty of pointers. HOWEVER, clarify: is the engine that is currently in the car NA or Turbo? if it's NA and you want to go NA->T, then that's a different story, but either way I'd keep whatever engine it currently has and just get a JDM 7M-GTE and build that.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty well I am goin to drop in another 7MGE because it is going to be cheap and I need to be driving this thing ASAP. While fixing the car cosmetically and driving it at the same time I want to be building another up another motor to truly make it a monster. Like overhauling the 7MGE that I took out of it and converting it to turbo so then I will practically have a brand new motor to swap in. Hopefully Turbo

I have had the thought of just overhauling a 7MGTE but I kinda wanted to keep the original motor that came with the car. And I dont want to buy another motor especially when I have one that just needs some fixing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would go with a 7MGTE. I know you want to turbo your NA, but it may be cheaper just to try and find a clip here in the U.S at a junkyard. I mean in the end it may be cheaper. Plus its easier to make power(Turbo vs NA). Turbos already there. Then you can still drive your Supra around while you work on your other motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts