Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I'm going to be making the transition from a 2004 Mazda RX8 to a Supra (Hopefully).

Here is a link to what I am planning on buying:

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1993-Toyota-Supra-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ299009452#

So my advice that I am needing:

1. He said he would "be putting the turbo motor in instead", as he has the current one ripped out. He would then want about $12,000. Is this price a good deal? If he throws in the non-turbo motor again, he said price is around $11,000.

2. What would it take in general, parts and cost, to upgrade the hp/tq numbers? I have seen that the stock turbo Supra runs about 5.3 0-60, I am wanting to upgrade to 400+ hp. Would this require simply a larger turbocharger, or would it require a lot more?

3. If he puts the non-turbo motor back in, how much work/cost would it take to put a large turbo in it to kick the power up significantly? I am wanting a few hundred hp.

Thanks everyone. Basically I am wanting more power than the RX8 has - I am wanting a faster car in general. I just want to know what it will take to get there.

He only will have the car for a day or two, hence why I am needing a quick response. Thanks again!

·
Registered
255 Posts
He says it needs piston rings... That's never a good thing... Some people would disagree but when you need piston rings you pretty much might as well rebuild the motor, or at least thats what I'd recommend. Its also possible this car has a bad compression ratio because of the current piston rings in the car. Find another car

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You don't even need Supra experience to tell that car is a POS. All show no go mods = automatic stay away in book. Plus his show mods aren't even done proper. You can tell the paint job is shitty by seeing the red engine bay, rims aren't 3 piece, dumb placement of gauge in the airbag (or is at a glovebox on the jdm models), poser bmw air vents.

As for the supra specific part it costs a lot more than a 1000 dollars to do a turbo swap and the differences aren't just the engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Completely agree with Arthur.
I made this mistake when i was 16 and purchased an R32 GTR. It ended up costing me half the purchase price to rebuild the engine to support the modifications..
Just be ready to rebuild the engine if you do follow through with the vehicle.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
find a better car.
Just trust us. I myself bought a swap car for a little more then what he is offering that one to you for and it is a headache to say the least. Spend a few more thousand on a car that came with turbos from the factory. It may seem like you can't find any now for a good price, but just keep looking. Some will pop up and don't be afraid of high miles, most Supra owners baby their cars so high mileage isn't really an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About the piston rings - Forgot to mention that I talked to the guy and he said there was 0 compression, so he is replacing the entire motor / doing a rebuild, including all gaskets, rings, heads, pistons, etc. The works basically. He said that he might be throwing in the factory turbo'd motor, as he has one available.

Anyways, thanks for the replies and advice! Search continues!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I know how your feeling right now man, you don't want to accept what were telling you, but do yourself a true favor, do not buy this car, do not believe what this guy is "telling" you, telling is bullshit in my opinion, not just from this guy, from anyone, I like seeing things.

·
Registered
300 Posts
looks like its an sz-r 6 speed v161 its def worth something check the chassis code see whats the trans/axle code

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill check the trans/axel code if I can. and its not that i dont want to accept what your saying at all, I own a rotary powered car so taking advice and knowing in's and out's i know is important. i really appreciate all the information. I will actually be keeping my current RX8, but am looking at purchasing a Supra as well :)

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
1. find a better car.
2. A N/A (non Turbo) supra is faster than an Rx8 anyways. I hate Rx8's, I had a Rx7 FD3s before and the Rx8 is poor excuse for the RX badge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
yea i really hate the rx8 really killed mazda for me, but hey if its an sz-r 6 speed its got an lsd soo its basically a tt 6 speed if you put the brakes and motor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts