Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im taken out my engine as we speak and im kinda stuck this is my first time pulling a engine from a fuel injected car. OK heres what needs to be done correct me i have done all of the above:

-Wiring harness is out
-Exaust is undone
-intake out
-some random wires out
-radiator out

Ok now i have a 7MGE so no turbo what else do i need to undo besides:

-Motor mounts(easy to do)
-Tranny (I just unbolt the 10 or so bults correct?)
-Then it should come loss correct?

Thanx, Jeremie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ITs not a turbo :( So would i go buy the same list or modifie it seriously this is my first time dealing with this car like this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanx But i dont want to have to pull the tranny with it so can i just undo the 10 or so bolts? or is it really easyer with a standard cherry picker the old school ones to pull everything?

·
Registered
483 Posts
drjonez said:
it's far easier to leave the trans attached and yank it that way.....but do whatever ya want...
I agree with DR Jonez

I pulled tranny with motor and it was not very hard at all.

EDIT:
Pulled pics, PM if you need them again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All i have is the the old school jack with one chain. I cant really tip it.so would it just pull out then?

·
Registered
483 Posts
MnDriver said:
All i have is the the old school jack with one chain. I cant really tip it.so would it just pull out then?
That part attached to the cherry picker that is orange (the engine level) was only like 40 bucks (holds up to 4000 lbs). If you do not use that part you may want a friend to help you. I have heard if you jack up the rear end that will work as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well im trying to get the tranny undone right now and then when thats done im pulling the motor and then im going to take out the tranny and then install it and put it back in as one. But i dont have the part right now and i am only renting the engine hoist. Not all people can afford one. :(

·
Registered
483 Posts
MnDriver said:
well im trying to get the tranny undone right now and then when thats done im pulling the motor and then im going to take out the tranny and then install it and put it back in as one. But i dont have the part right now and i am only renting the engine hoist. Not all people can afford one. :(
Cool man, good luck on this. :)

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
I've done it both ways and don't really mind either.

If you leave the tranny, make sure you have something supporting it, becuase the only thing holding it up is the rear mount once the engine is gone.

I have someone turn the motor while I'm underneath unbolting the flywheel from the clutch.

Then, as you said. Make sure everything's disconnected. If it seems like it's still connected, something is...

Also, make sure the mounts are unbolted both top and bottom, I broke a set on my 90 (the newer style) because they pulled up with the motor (my fault)

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The drivers side mount how did you guys get it off i have a 1986.5 and it seem like i can barly fit my finger in there let alone a wrench and tricks?

How many bolts connect the flywheel and the clutch?

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
MnDriver said:
The drivers side mount how did you guys get it off i have a 1986.5 and it seem like i can barly fit my finger in there let alone a wrench and tricks?

How many bolts connect the flywheel and the clutch?
You can just unbolt the mount from the engine if you can't get at it...Make sure the fuel lines are disconnected, you need to remove a grey plastic cover on the drivers side right next to the frame rail.

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
There's a hole in the frame you can stick a socket (17mm?) on an extension, easy as can be... but not if you don't notice it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts