Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 weeks ago I posted about spring sag in the rear suspension of my 1993 Supra TT. The drivers side had 1 inch less wheel gap then the passenger side. Most people agreed that it was probably the spring sagging due to age and nearly 100,000 miles of use.

Well, today, I went ahead and did the rear suspension with KYB adjustables and Tanabe Super H springs. I'll be darned if the wheel gap issue is still there. Yes the car is lower, but the passenger side still had 1 inch more gap then the driver's side. I can't fit any fingers between the tire/fender on the driver's side, but can fit nearly 2 on the passenger's side. It really looks like crap.

I am at a loss.... I looked at the suspension and it doesn't look like anything is bent/broken. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to look for, or has anyone had this problem before? I really don't want to go through the hassle of doing the fronts if I'll need to step up to coilovers to solve my wheel gap issues.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Steve K.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
when you looked at the strut tower did the drivers side look punched up at the top? assuming something isnt really wrong with your lower suspension or hub mounting, thats the only thing i can think of...

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
This might sound stupid ? Are the tires the same size on both sides? did you get one possibly in a different series. 45-40-30-35?
It's happened before......
No matter where your parked it's always the same?

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires are the same size so that isn't it. The back of the car looks really clean actually, no damage to anything that I can tell as far as the frame and everything-rear suspension parts look good too. I am going to go out and drive it a bit tonight and see what happens, perhaps it will settle down! If not, I may build a 1/4 inch spacer to put in between the strut housing/frame and raise up the driver's side 1/4 inch to make it look more even. Hopefully this will cause the pass. side to settle down a bit.

Thanks,

Steve K.

G

·
0 Posts
Could it be a problem with the rear sway bar? Could it be preloaded (or whatever they call it) so that its rolling the rear to one side.

·
Registered
875 Posts
this might sound stupid but check that the floor is actually level. something similar happend to me - soon after i got my car i was parked at the shop carpark and noticed one wheel about a finger lower than the other, the floor looked flat so i assumed it was a problem with my coilovers... then rechecked it in my garage which has a dead flat floor, and difference was gone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would get the car up on a lift and measure everything out on both sides. Although the suspension won't be compressed, you still may be able to see if there are any measurable differences anywhere.

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I took the car for a drive this evening around the block and the wheel gap issue is still there. Also when I hit a bump the car sways horribly to the drivers side upon landing from the bump-not as bad as before with the stock 100k suspension, but still noticeably enough. I stopped several times and the wheel gap is much worse on the passenger side. So I am guess it is time to get the trusty FSM out and start taking measurements. How would the rear sway bar get preloaded? I haven't heard of this.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming if you can think of anything else. I gotta get this rear suspension deal figured out.

TTYL,

Steve K.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
now this is going to sound stupid but is there any way that your hub is off center? like sitting cockeyed? it would probably be extremely dangerous and im sure youd notice some heavy camber but i cant really think of anything else besides what i said about the strut tower. do you have a rear strut tower bar?

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No,

The rear trunk area looks good. I am going to pull the wheels off this weekend and look at everything again. The alignment is good as I drove the car back from New Hampshire in November and didn't notice any weird camber where. The car also tracks straight as a whistle. It just sits a lot lower on the drivers side compared to teh passengers side.

Steve K.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
another really off the wall and near definitely wrong question. any chance the opposing wheel is SOMEHOW doing it? do you have a big gap on your front passenger wheel?

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really that is not off the wall at all. I do have gap in the front passenger side fender and have a much smaller gap on the driver's side, so the drive's side spring could be sagging. This would also cause the rear passenger side to have more wheel gap. I am going to go ahead and replace the front springs/shocks in the next few weeks with the Tanabe/KYB combo.

We also found out that my pass. side rear wheel bearing is toast and will need to be replaced as there is 1-3 mm play in the rear wheel. I am going to go ahead and replace both rear wheel bearings in the next few weeks.

Thanks for all suggestions and help.

Steve K.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
How about the sway bar bushings. Are they all new or recently replaced.

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No,

Sway bar bushings are old. I am looking at replacing the sway bars with a good street set up.

Steve K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts