Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. I have 2 kenwood KAC 606 amps for them who don't know they are 150 watts bridged and I think the RMS is close to that.. 75 non bridged at 4 ohms. I know not the greatest but I picked them up cheep and they work amazingly fully suprised me. Anyhow I was wondering I had a enclosed 12" sub before powered by the one amp and the whole car shaked like hell on hip hop and stuff but never hit the dance right. I listen to dance so I was thinking of droping to 10's or 8's for the bass... I have a mk3 with the shit 3 1/2" in front and 5 1/4 in the rears they are both after market. It sounds like my car has NO mids just highs and lows.

Should 10's fix this? Also any ideas on a box/sub's i should use?

Thanks

Eric W

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Actually 10's won't fix your lack of mids. You'll need mid range drivers for that! I'd suggest a set of Diamond audio/JL XR/Focal kevlar 6.5's or 5.5's component sets, or coaxle if you're short on $$$. That will clear up your problems with mids and you'll still get the bump from your 12.

F

·
0 Posts
10's would fix your midrange-midbass problem if crossed over in the right frequency range but they won't fit in the front and would pull your soundstage to the back if placed in the rear. I had an '87 though I managed to squeeze 8's into the kickpanels (mb quart 3 way--4's and tweets in door). You'll lose your rest pedal on the driver's side if you do this. Simply lay the 8" or 6 1/2" midrange in the corner (driver's side aimed towards pass. head and vice-versa) and lay over cardboard and start trimming until it's laying on speaker and no gaps around sheet metal. Take your template and cut out some 1/2 or 3/4" MDF. Cut your speaker hole and lay this baffle in the car. Silicone around whole baffle. I used some expanded sheet metal for grill (needs to be tough since your foot will be resting here) and covered it with matching unbacked carpet. As far as hooking it up you could either build a custom crossover or use some generic 3 way passive crossovers (one channel in--one tweeter out, one midrange out, and one midbass out). My construction took up a whole Saturday but sounded awesome. Hope this gives you some ideas.

·
0 Posts
I put 6 1/2 in the stock 4'' holes. Take the door apart, remove the 4" stock mount, make a baffle out 3/4 MDF and shape to fit. I have a set 3.5" deep 6 1/2 in my doors, tweets mounted on the top of the doors. No more mid bass problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts