Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to time my 7mgte after replacing the theromostat housing gasket.

I followed the TSRM and found TDC with the cams aligned and crank mark at zero with cam under the oil cap in the proper position. I even seen the pictures of the cps and its in position. Car starts and runs fine, but I can't get the timing to 10 degrees with the jumper wired in the dianogtic thingy. Actually the jumper does nothing for the timing, the car just idles at around 1100 rpm in "N" and can't be adjusted lower the 15 degrees btdc. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Are you sure the jumper is making a good connection? Is the engine warmed up when you're trying? A/C turned off? Which plug wire are you getting your timing signal from?

EDIT: What speed does your engine normally idle at? If it's usually that high check your TPS and dashpot.

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure the jumper is making a good connection? Is the engine warmed up when you're trying? A/C turned off? Which plug wire are you getting your timing signal from?

EDIT: What speed does your engine normally idle at? If it's usually that high check your TPS and dashpot.

My TPS is way off........working on it.

I'm using plug #1, ac off, car in "N".

Regards,
Chris D.

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Trying to time my 7mgte after replacing the theromostat housing gasket.

I followed the TSRM and found TDC with the cams aligned and crank mark at zero with cam under the oil cap in the proper position. I even seen the pictures of the cps and its in position. Car starts and runs fine, but I can't get the timing to 10 degrees with the jumper wired in the dianogtic thingy. Actually the jumper does nothing for the timing, the car just idles at around 1100 rpm in "N" and can't be adjusted lower the 15 degrees btdc. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Chris
Reset CPS 180 deg.

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Reset CPS 180 deg.
Car is fixed. Left the CPS alone and fixed the out of adjustment TPS. Once the TPS with adjusted to specs, the timing was easy to set at 10 degrees with the jumper attached. Before with the bad TPS, the CPS could turn no further to fix my timing issue, once the TPS was fixed I had more than enough room to adjust the CPS properly without removal, or backing it a tooth.

The reason I had to reset the CPS is because I had to take it off to remove the T-stat housing in the first place(which had a major leak).

I also marked the CPS when I removed it and when I reinstalled it it was off (Yes, I messed it up). Instead of playing with the CPS and trying to move it back a notch, I just performed a TDC of the engine and reset the CPS as the book says (I have a factory shop manual). I find it interesting that the timing is so affected by the TPS. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Chris D.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm glad you got everything sorted out.

For the benefit of anyone else doing this: When you reset the gears to TDC you need to reset the CPS to TDC. Marking where it was when you took it off isn't going to help unless you set the engine to TDC BEFORE removing the CPS.

·
7m Power
32 Posts
i was just ajusting my timing yesterday to see if it would stop my car from studdering. I could not get it to 10 degrees either and my ideal is about 700 rpm. I was wondering if its ok for the CPS to be moved all the way up or do i have to reset it or something?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If you've got the CPS moved all the way in one direction or the other AND you've got the right pins in the diag box jumpered AND the crank and cams are both set properly then yes, most likely you need to realign the CPS. Set the crank and cam gears to TDC, pull the CPS and set it to TDC, verify the tension on the timing belt and check for excessive wear and stretching.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&Page=26
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&Page=29
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=IG&Page=24

Timing isn't the only reason the car will studder... is it just doing it at idle? If so, check the ISC and look for vacuum leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts