Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a T51R to install, I know that this part is discontinued and all kits are hard to find. I was wondering if anyone has any parts that I can buy and make my own kit?

I have a 1994 MK4 TT LHD.

Thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
You should probably specify if you have a vband manifold flange or a divided manifold flange on your turbo. I've seen both varieties. There is someone in the classifieds selling an HKS manifold and GT Wastegate for a very reasonable price. This would work if you had a T4 flanged turbo housing. You may want to jump on that and then try to locate a downpipe and a wastegate dump tube.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vband flange..I was thinking to get a "normal" kit with T4 flange and use an adapter to Vband

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Vband flange..I was thinking to get a "normal" kit with T4 flange and use an adapter to Vband
That will raise your turbo quite a bit I'd imagine. Surely go for vband manifold to begin with.

Adapter is usually for people who have got the manifold already. Not ideal to specify using an Adapter if you've not got a manifold. Be more efficient without an adapter too I'd imagine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That will raise your turbo quite a bit I'd imagine. Surely go for vband manifold to begin with.

Adapter is usually for people who have got the manifold already. Not ideal to specify using an Adapter if you've not got a manifold. Be more efficient without an adapter too I'd imagine.
yrs probably more efficient without an adapter. The thing is, parts are hard to find and I just want a complete kit that fits without extra fabrication. I’m trying to do this on my own..

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
The HKS T51R's Vband flange is the same as the later Tial GT42 frame V-band housings. So Tial flanges work for a custom manifold if needed.

HKS adapter flange 1499-RA037 is back in production and adapts an open T4 flange to the HKS T51R Vband pattern, because the HKS GTIII-5R turbo, the spiritual successor to the HKS T51R-SPL, also uses the same V- band pattern. Don't let anyone tell you that it's discontinued. But understand the part is marketed for the new HKS GTIII-5R not the T51R but the flange pattern is the same, I confirmed it myself on my own T51R Kai and new-production HKS adapter.

You can source that adapter flange by part number (1499-RA037) from RHDJapan or BlackhawkJapan pretty easily, I bought one for around $150 delivered in the US. You'll still need to buy the V-band clamp itself and hardware/T4 gasket for the T4 side. Depending on the manifold you use, it can elevate the turbo significantly but even on the highest mounted setups like this it usually clears the hood with a few tweaks. A custom downpipe and coolant lines/oil lines etc will be required of course.
Efficiency wise the losses are minimal with the adapter flange, it's more of a fitment issue than anything else.

Suprastore used to sell a T51R bespoke manifold that was flanged for the T51R, I'm not sure if they still offer it. The price was very reasonable, around $900 USD I think. That'd be an ideal solution for the cost, really.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
Also worth noting, there are a lot of Chinese counterfeit HKS T51R's floating around now. Most seem to be marked as HKS T51R-KAI-BB or SPL-BB with the blue tag. They're typical unbalanced Chinacharger junk and aren't worth the effort to 'make them work'.
To see the differences, pay particular attention to the font and to the serial number/ID number on the compressor cover tag, as the Chinese counterfeit clones tend to have thinner font and an incorrect number format. Other suspicious clues can be found in the CHRA and on the turbine wheel.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m currently looking at the suprastore manifold, but would like the down pipe, midpipe and oil/coolant lines as well. For wastegate, I’m looking at turbo smart 45mm or precision 46 mm. Is that a good combo?

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
Can a see a photo of a counterfeit and a real T51R font?
It's easy to find the fakes for sale on Aliexpress and even ebay.
Here's a fake SPL-BB Note the lack of balance cuts in the turbine wheel and the dissimilar data plate and compressor cover tag vs a real HKS one. Google image search is your friend here.

I’m currently looking at the suprastore manifold, but would like the down pipe, midpipe and oil/coolant lines as well. For wastegate, I’m looking at turbo smart 45mm or precision 46 mm. Is that a good combo?
If you want a whole kit you'll have to buy an actual complete T51R kit. If you're using anything but an original HKS T51R manifold and downpipe, etc then fabrication is required and there's no way around that.

HKS used a single GTI 60mm or GTII 60mm gate on all of their T51R kits. The Turbosmart gates are fantastic and I've heard good things about the Precisions as well, but I like Turbosmart. But 40-46mm gates should be a twin gate setup if you go that small and that would be ideal for the maximum 'boost window' of stable boost for a given spring combo.

If you're running a single gate, you should run a 60mm to ensure you avoid boost creep with the big ass turbine and turbine housing of the T51R. There's a slight disadvantage to the single 60mm, as it won't permit as wide of a stable boost range on a given boost controller vs twin 40-45mm gates would.

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
This seller could help you, potentially: New Old Stock HKS Turbo Exhaust Manifold and New Old...

Ken.
Gerrb's minty new manifold and HKS gate are an excellent buy, and the HKS adapter will work well with lots of clearance for the T51R when installed on an original HKS T4 manifold like that. But the ideal solution would be an original HKS T51R manifold with the correct integral V-band flange, or the Suprastore manifold set up for the T51R.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hi

I have a T51R to install, I know that this part is discontinued and all kits are hard to find. I was wondering if anyone has any parts that I can buy and make my own kit?

I have a 1994 MK4 TT LHD.

Thanks
Parts are long discontinued. The likely hood of locating real t51r series parts are slim but if you're patient your time will come.

Liekly your best bet will be the superstore manifold that can be found on ebay. Cost is closer to 1200ish since ebay charges state tax. Wastegates are still available. I would stick with HKS 60mm as that is what the turbo was designed around. The exhaust hosing outlet is proprietary to HKS T51r and will require custom fabrication if you go superstore version.

Oil feed/return lines are easy to come by. Water lines not a huge deal either if you have a BB version.

I recommend holding out and sourcing genuine HKS parts. I currently run their setup with recirculated wastegate. It is the greatest, single turbo, setup ever for the MKIV. I have had everything from 66mm-88mm turbos over the years, but HKS just checks all the boxes. The only comparable setup in my opinion are HKS big twins kit but we are discussing Single's here :)

GL with your build..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Parts are long discontinued. The likely hood of locating real t51r series parts are slim but if you're patient your time will come.

Liekly your best bet will be the superstore manifold that can be found on ebay. Cost is closer to 1200ish since ebay charges state tax. Wastegates are still available. I would stick with HKS 60mm as that is what the turbo was designed around. The exhaust hosing outlet is proprietary to HKS T51r and will require custom fabrication if you go superstore version.

Oil feed/return lines are easy to come by. Water lines not a huge deal either if you have a BB version.

I recommend holding out and sourcing genuine HKS parts. I currently run their setup with recirculated wastegate. It is the greatest, single turbo, setup ever for the MKIV. I have had everything from 66mm-88mm turbos over the years, but HKS just checks all the boxes. The only comparable setup in my opinion are HKS big twins kit but we are discussing Single's here :)

GL with your build..
I would of love to have that feeling driving with the T51R!!

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
On fake Chinese copies of T51R's, thanks to having covered this in-depth in a PM exchange with another member almost a year ago, I already had these images hosted on the forum. I couldn't find them for reference on my current PC so thank goodness for SF once again.

Bottom line up front - if the price is too good to be true, it absolutely is. Specifically, HKS T51R SPL DBB's with the gold badging and the T51R Kai DBB's with the blue badging have been faked often.

The below images show the differences between a China T51 and the genuine HKS. The font for the 'SPL' or 'KAI' is wrong, and appears skinnier and awkward vs the real deal. The castings are rougher as well but the rest is very hard to tell. Also, the genuine HKS turbos tend to have 5 or 6 digit SN's on the compressor cover while the Chinese ones usually end in 'GT' with 7 or 8 characters.

Genuine HKS T51R SPL DBB: Note the SN, and the font used on the 'SPL' also notice the generally smoother casting with lower-profile lettering:

Specifically, notice how small the hole in the 'P' of 'SPL' is.

Here's a closeup of the Chinacharger knockoff : note the excessively raised lettering in the 'HKS' casting, the roughness of the casting, and the font used on the gold tag, specifically the 'SPL'.

These, sadly, pop up on eBay pretty frequently. I haven't held one personally but I expect it's a journal bearing china charger of about the same dimensions that'll look cool but otherwise suck ass. Likely be a lag monster that doesn't make the expected power and fails quickly.

And they're churning them out:

That shown - there's a lot of genuine HKS T51R's out there. If you want the T51R sound, make sure you avoid the early ones that don't have the port shrouded compressor cover - that's the 'groove' that appears around the compressor inlet. There's some very early T51R's that were basically HKS T51S's with a slightly improved compressor cover but the same T4 flanged turbine housing and CHRA as the T51S. This transitioned into the V-band housing initially and the casting was different on the compressor cover, with a totally different compressor cover casting with different font and it generally just looks weird. Yes, those, are real HKS but they're basically just a T51S with a vband housing, no special T51R noise to be found.

Reactions: Strokercharged95GT

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet! Thank you so much! That’s really helpful! I can say that mine is genuine!!

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
Who can make me a custom downpipe with a 115.5mm vband?
Best advice is to get the HKS flange and V-band separately, and have a local fabrication shop do it. With manifold adapters and other variables in play, it'd be basically impossible for a Supra shop to send you a downpipe in a box with good fitment.

·
Registered
532 Posts
PHR can do it but they need me to send them virtually everything
I did this with an Extreme Turbo System kit that was missing something. They had me send in several pieces, which I thought was a pain. In the end, it was well worth the piece of mind in knowing that everything was mocked up and designed with the best fitment possible. Shipping back and forth wasn't terrible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts