Supra Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts
Good thread .. Subscribed for more info.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hey Ken! Regarding my comment on noise. As I am sure you know, the RLTC interrupts the injector to reduce power. As a result, its similar to a two step or antilag when the system activates to reduce power. Granted you typically will cut ignition on antilag to keep the fuel in the exhaust to keep the turbo lit and use cut fuel on a rev limiter but either way I don't know of any rev limiter that isn't quiet. If you don't have excessive wheelspin and it only has to tap out a few cylinders, yes its quiet. Well at least not as loud as an open wastegate and sewer pipe exhaust.

However, try driving Ryan's car sometime (before the ProEFI goes in!) and see how quiet his car is when you really jam on it and the RLTC tries to keep the tires planted. Its loud. 3.4L, ATM, T61mm, Michelin sport cups not at race temp with 3deg camber. Even at 70mph it instantly incinerates the tires like you are on ice. Cutting that many cylinders is going to be noisy. Conversely when I launch my car with all its got on the street keeping in mind it cuts 1.48 60ft times all day long at the track, and it has a VERY quiet exhaust, it just takes off without anything other than some expected tire scuffing noise. Also as a drag racer I don't like to have to spin dials on my nice aluminum controller to turn of traction control to do my burn out then fumble around to get it back on in the slip I want. I hit my OEM trac button and look for the light on the dash to know its on or off.

So my thoughts are:
Does RLTC work? Hell yeah it does.
Is there any other option if you don't have a ProEFI or a Motec? Nope don't know of any.
If you are shopping for an ECM and would rather put $1300 for RLTC into your ECM purchase is the ProEFI's included feature nice? Sure is.
Do I like the fact RLTC can recognize turns and uses all 4 wheel sensors? Yup.
Do I like the fact RLTC has multiple slip settings preprogrammed? Yup that is REALLY nice feature.
Can I ask Jason to make the ProEFI to do that because at the moment it cannot? Yeah might take some convincing but its possible.
Would I probably bang my head against the wall for a while before I can get him to do it? That is guaranteed.
Can the RLTC do its job based on rate of RPM increase, driveshaft acceleration, differential wheel speed, etc? Nope.
Can I set the RLTC to have infinitely adjustable values like 25% slip below 15mph, 15% below 30 and 5% or less at higher speeds where it really counts to have very little slip? No I cannot.
Can the RLTC allow me to I put in ANY slip curve I want using multiple methods I choose to regulate wheel spin like the ProEFI? No.
Does that allow me to be certain that under no circumstances my stock ATM trans will NOT be spinning the tires going into second gear and crap the sprag? Sure does.
Is that important to me? You better believe it is.
Am I the only one who probably cares about not raising attention to my car when I am violating multiple traffic laws? Yeah but I'm used to being different with stuff like that.
Have I used the Motec? No but I'm quite sure it works like the ProEFI and is bad ass but I also will bet I can buy a shit load of rear tires with what it will cost to have it.

Bottom line they both work. If you have a finished and already set up car the RLTC will get the job done no question. If you still need and ECM or really like having multiple options regarding how you set up and tune your car, I'd take the money for the RLTC and put it towards a damn good engine control like the ProEFI.

I tune a stroked T74 car with both a ProEFI and RLTC. I plan to set up the ProEFI and activate it and see if I switch between the 2 system if there is any noticeable difference. I'll let you guys know.
Thanks dude for the great info, can't wait to hear from you soon and see the result sir

I would like to make the best choice between them

·
Brevity is our fortune...
805 Posts
I am highly satisfied with my Pro-Efi Traction control. I was reminded of how effective it is in both keeping traction and usable power to the wheels just today. I hit the stock button wiping off the interior and thought I had switched it back on (the steering wheel position just obscures the track off light), 20lbs of boost on ethanol hits hard and fast on my setup and the car felt like it was going nowhere all of a sudden (and I wasn't). 10' of rubber tracks and the press of the button and it was back to normal predictable behavior and the rapid acceleration I expect of it. On back roads I have no hesitation to power out of a winding corner.

It's a a guardian angel in the rain, my minimum boost is 14.5-15psi and paired with a OSG LSD and Goodyear F1 Tires, the pro-efi TC keeps the car perfectly straight. I've toyed with it in soaked back streets with a safe perimeter and 2nd gear at boost full throttle the rear of the car will not come out, power is all but cut off but the safety of it is amazing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
After reading a lot of good things about the ProEFI now I will put this on my car, can someone know if it will affect my haltec 2000 ecu or not ? And how can I install it on my car ? And how much it cost ?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
^…ProEFI is a standalone EMS.

As mentioned before it's traction control is built in and can't be just added onto your Haltech..

If you go ProEFI your Haltech will be useless.

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
After reading a lot of good things about the ProEFI now I will put this on my car, can someone know if it will affect my haltec 2000 ecu or not ? And how can I install it on my car ? And how much it cost ?

The ProEFI is a complete engine management computer. It runs the engine so you would no longer need the Haltech.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My car made 667 at the wheels 67mm E85 automatic -- with 18' DR my car went 10.09 at 141 with traction on. best with it off tires at 12lbs went 11.98 (same day)
I have several other cars 700hp range (non supra) that use the F.A.S.T EFI and traction control Im sorry I have to agree with Larry PRO EFI FAR Superior .. just my 2cents
Rick

Can't trust you on this one, Larry. You are a ProEFI dealer and the biggest proponent on SF of that EMS. I wouldn't expect you to say anything else as a result. After all, you and Jason S were AEM true believers at one time and we know how that turned out. Now, the latest and greatest for the both of you is the ProEFI. I've heard and read great things about this platform but when someone with no dog in the fight tests both systems, then it may mean something. I'm sure Reid was impressed. After all, it's the first time he's had any type of TC in his car (other than stock and assuming he had that). Everything you say could be true, but there is no way to know for sure because you have offered no evidence, and saying it's so doesn't make it so. I am sure you are aware of what racing circles the Race Logic was developed in until traction control was outlawed, so its pedigree is pretty well established. Time marches on, however, so I would be pretty happy to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
The ProEFI is a complete engine management computer. It runs the engine so you would no longer need the Haltech.

I'm really tempted on the ProEFI.... Just to make sure, the Pro48 doesn't have traction control, only the Pro128 does?

·
Slow2JZ
235 Posts
Been reading everything you guys have been saying about ProEFI....Sounds Great in some many ways! I'm running a AEM EMS right now but it seems like not much compares to the ProEFI? Does the AEM T/C come close? Or would switching to the ProEFI be my best bet for everything! Really would love to have a Nice T/C system..

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Been reading everything you guys have been saying about ProEFI....Sounds Great in some many ways! I'm running a AEM EMS right now but it seems like not much compares to the ProEFI? Does the AEM T/C come close? Or would switching to the ProEFI be my best bet for everything! Really would love to have a Nice T/C system..
Aem's T/C (v1, not sure on V2) is based off engine RPM and not wheel speeds like RLTC, ProEFI, Motec, etc so isn't even close.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm sold on the ProEFI as well I wish I could get paid for overtime.. :/

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
I'm really tempted on the ProEFI.... Just to make sure, the Pro48 doesn't have traction control, only the Pro128 does?
The 48 can do traction control but it does not have any wheel speed inputs so it cannot do the wheel speed differential trac control, only the engine rate of accel.

But Just an FYI, on newer cars with CAN communication where we can tap into the factory can bus lines and pick up all of the sensors, on those cars we can do wheel speed traction control with a 48 unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi! any fresh opinions? no have RLTC installed and proefi is on the shelf, waiting to be wired up

61 - 77 of 77 Posts