Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been diagnosing a ticking noise after bc 264 cam install and valve stem seal replacement and never found the issue yet. Decided to pull the head and take it to the machine shop next week for a valve job and deck. Inspecting the block and found these marks on cylinder 3:

Got to do a compression test to day. Engine was slightly warmed, pulled one spark plug at a time and with throttle wide open.
1=170
2=170
3=175
4=170
5=175
6=170

Update just got the head off yesterday and it will go to the machine shop this coming week. I didn't see any visible damage under the head but i hope they find something wrong with it. Also saw this wear marks only on cylinder 3, what would have caused this? Compression was 170 for this cylinder

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well I also posted on your other thread. But I can go more in depth. Scoring is caused by a wide variety of things and yours appears to be minor. If blowby is low and there is no miss along with how good your compression is I would t worry about it. High miles can cause it , carbon build up can cause it , running the shit out of the car, getting it hot, lack of lubrication can cause the walls to be scored by the rings. As long as it still runs right don't fix it if it ain't broke. And like I said in my other post I have a cummins that I tore down for a bad HG and the walls are way more torn up. It started after sitting in a field for 6 months in 20 degree weather after some short cranking.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Engine was running fine before i decided to do the cams. I can feel those marks but it doesn't catch my nail, this piston came out oily compared to others.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd say run it and start saving up for the good stuff so when the time comes you can overbore and do a good rebuild

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropped of the head at the machine shop today then i spoke to him about the issue in cylinder 3.

I'd say run it and start saving up for the good stuff so when the time comes you can overbore and do a good rebuild
Thats what the machine shop said but only if he finds the issue with the head if not he said it might be something wrong with the wrist pin in that specific cylinder that's causing the noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts