Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an NA to T-78 Turbo conversion and would appreciate anyone that has or can take a high-res (2MB plus) image. I am coming up with so many things that are not going to gether (plugs and hose) and the Toyota Repair manuals just do an image justice.

Thanks!

Z

·
0 Posts
hey, where are you located in SF? who is doing the work for you?
me and my friends meet up every weekends...Supras and other go fast cars and we cruiz down to San Jose...really fun. maybe we can hook up?

Jonas

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post- still trying to get the Supra done. I could cruise my 350hp 4-Runner, but I'd hate to give you guys competition- LOL!

Z

·
0 Posts
wowm 350hp 4 runner? supercharged? nice...we have a 400hp AMG ML55 also, you can race him!

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh the supercharger was just the beginning of that project. Built a custom 9psi pulley for the TRD sup kit and damn- I can't afford all the tires it wants to go through!

Z

·
0 Posts
sounds like a beast you got there! is it the same TRD supercharger kit as the one used on Camery?
I know a guy who also has TRD SC kit in his Camery with new pulley too..9psi he say too.. we should meet...we have so much to talk about!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jelliman said:
I am doing an NA to T-78 Turbo conversion and would appreciate anyone that has or can take a high-res (2MB plus) image. I am coming up with so many things that are not going to gether (plugs and hose) and the Toyota Repair manuals just do an image justice.

Thanks!
Hi Jelliman,

I have done the NA->TT conversion. I can help you with the swap. My single turbo will be done early next year. So I can't help you with the T-78 install. I have also done the auto->6-speed swap. Feel free to e-mail me.

--Joey

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a chance that you can email me off the forum- it's much easier for me- [email protected]

I've got a couple of connections that are not going together. I am so close, just would appreciate talking with someone that know what they are talking about.

I have been misled by so many people that say they have done it, but there is no way they have considering they did not let me know about all the things I would have to be buying to make this engine run!

Thanks a million!

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice ride!

Is there a chance that you can email me each of these separately in the highest res format? I'll post some of mine in a few.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Jelliman said:
Nice ride!

Is there a chance that you can email me each of these separately in the highest res format? I'll post some of mine in a few.
I'll try, but I only have a 56k @ home :redf: and each full sized pic will be about 5mb.

Email Me and I'll try an send some.

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's my engine bay....for the moment.

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you FTP them? I have a server you can send them to!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jelliman said:
Here's my engine bay....for the moment.
From the picture, here is what I can tell:

1. You need an ignitor, a ~$175 part from Jeff Watson. It is usually on back order. The ignitor plugs next to the EFI resistor. This connects to that dark grey connector. Oh, buy a bracket for your EFI resistor. Those zip ties don't look like they can hold it.

2. A condensor plugs into that light grey connector next to the dark connector. I couldn't tell from your picture whether the condensor is there or not. If not, you should be able to get it form your NA engine.

3. What's that long red wire? See questions 4 and 5.

4. Are you running VPC? If so, maybe you can bypass some wiring of your fuse box.

5. Did you add a second EFI relay? I think you can live with only one. However, I don't know how to do that. So I jsut wire a second one like TT Supra.

6. Do you have a TT upper radiator hose? NA and TT have different ones.

7. Do you have a TT fan blade? You can't use the NA one. You can use the same fan clutch.

8. You should really disconnect your battery when working on your car

That's all I can tell from your picture. You can send me more detailed questions via e-mail at paper_boy @ mailandnews.com. If you want, you can call me. I will give you my phone number.

Cheers,

--Joey

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joey,

I have installed the following parts (yes, I do remove the battery when working on it. Just hooked it up this morning to see if the motor will turn over- not.

Here's the laundry list of parts that I have done.

Greddy T78 kit
Tanabe DP
VPC
S-AFC
EVC EZ
Greddy 16-row oil cooler
PHR twin fan kit
PHR Stage 2 fuel with 850 injectors (twin pumps)
Greddy BCC
Turbo Timer
TRD sway bars
TRD trans brace
6-spd tranny
Arizona clutch
RPS pressure plate
Fluidyne radiator
HKS racing BOV
Greddy 4-row intercooler
Veilside kit
TRD exhaust (the old style)
Volk AV3 18" wheels
Toyo Proxies
Turbo calipers (F/R)
Stillen cross-drilled rotors (F/R)

This is probably not everything.....about $2K worth of parts from Jay Marks.

Doing all the work myself with some fellow friends that I race cars with. Thought it would be fun to do one of these, but time is running out for this one! Race season is about to start!

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joey,

I have installed the following parts (yes, I do remove the battery when working on it. Just hooked it up this morning to see if the motor will turn over- not.

Here's the laundry list of parts that I have done.

Greddy T78 kit
Tanabe DP
VPC
S-AFC
EVC EZ
Greddy 16-row oil cooler
PHR twin fan kit
PHR Stage 2 fuel with 850 injectors (twin pumps)
Greddy BCC
Turbo Timer
TRD sway bars
TRD trans brace
6-spd tranny
Arizona clutch
RPS pressure plate
Fluidyne radiator
HKS racing BOV
Greddy 4-row intercooler
Veilside kit
TRD exhaust (the old style)
Volk AV3 18" wheels
Toyo Proxies
Turbo calipers (F/R)
Stillen cross-drilled rotors (F/R)
HKS gears
UOR lighweight pulleys
Mueller lightweight flywheel

This is probably not everything.....about $1500 worth of parts from Jay Marks. The red wire is for the switch I am hooking up for the dual electric fans

Doing all the work myself with some fellow friends that I race cars with. Thought it would be fun to do one of these, but time is running out for this one! Race season is about to start!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I made a mistake:

1. You need an ignitor, a ~$175 part from Jeff Watson. It is usually on back order. The ignitor plugs next to the EFI resistor. This connects to that dark grey connector. Oh, buy a bracket for your EFI resistor. Those zip ties don't look like they can hold it.

I meant you need an EFI resistor. It's ~$150 and it's usually on back order. That black box you tied with the zip ties is the ignitor. The ignitor bracket also has a clip to hold the condensor. The bracket is ~$10.

Not to make you worried or anything (I welcome anyone to comment), but those light weight pullies are not good for our car.
The factory pullies are designed to absorb the vibrations from the crackshaft. The crankshaft pully helps the crankshaft absorbe the vibration after the #1 piston fires.

Also, I thought engien fan pulls more air than electric fans?

--Joey

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zip ties were just temporary- waiting for that to arrive.

The harmonic balancer does help, but this car is not really going to be meant for the street. Just a weekend car to spank those Porsches, Ferraris and such at the track. Yeah I know it doesn't need all this to accomplish that, but since I had the car all apart anyways, why not go all the way.

Need some advice on the connectors directly behind the battery. I have a 5-pin on the TT harness and the NA has three pin. Did you bypass this or- what does this do?

I did realize that I am missing the EFI resistor- took me 4 hours to find a part# for that one- salvage yards don't list it. Should be here next week. I also ordered the fuel computer- there's an extra set of wires that come into that area, is that for the TRAC control?

The electric fans save me about 10-14 hp, and the Turbo radiator/shroud and fan needed to be replaced, so the aftermarket stuff was half the cost of that- so I went that route.

You were definitely smart to start with stock everything- then change over. I couldn't find a US spec in good shape with all the stock parts for less than $3500- so I went with this Jap Spec that I got for $1500. Took the $2K I saved and got a Greddy T78 kit for $2700.

I would highly recommend getting any parts from Chris at horsepowerfreaks.com. He saved me a ton. Be sure to give him a call when you go single. He's got a 95 with a T78 that is just over 10 at 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts