Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a fuel system installed in the car and for some reason my fuel gauge is off. The low fuel warning light comes on when I am low on gas, however the needle is off.

For example I will be low on fuel and the warning light will come on, but my fuel gauge needle will be reading that I have a half tank of gas left when I dont.

My question is, in the following photo, what controls the needle's reading so that I can align it correctly. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The floater (black square looking box) is what dictates what the fuel level the needle will read. Most likely the floater is getting stuck on something and you will have to pull up the hangar to see what its getting caught on. Some people bend the metal linkage that it is attached to, but you shouldn't need to with twin walbros. I suggest taking it back to the shop that you had install the fuel system to have it fixed.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The floater (black square looking box) is what dictates what the fuel level the needle will read. Most likely the floater is getting stuck on something and you will have to pull up the hangar to see what its getting caught on. Some people bend the metal linkage that it is attached to, but you shouldn't need to with twin walbros.
Thank you Alex. I will see what it interfering with it. I have no idea what it could be.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i know its an old topic... but i recently just pulled the mkiv outta the shop... whats funny is that i notice the fuel light starts to come on really early.. i dont even get to the 1/4 mark on the fuel gauge and the low fuel warning light comes on... just the other day i filled her up... and i noticed that the light stays on constantly now... i dont know whats up with that... any info about this problem?

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
i had a similar issue to you guys last year. Turned out that the sender unit actually came off the hanger. You are just gonna have to remove the hanger and see if everything is still intact

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
The light is being triggered by the small round thing beside the black skimmer. Check if this is in place.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
the wire that goes to the low fuel level sensor tends to get cracks in it's cover and short agaist the metal bracket. That will kick the light on.

Also, I have a fuel gauges that reads all wrong also.. even at empty it will read half a tank. I replaced the sender with a new unit, but it turns out it is the gauge itself is bad and needed to be replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts