Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I know this is from an old transaction but some of you may want to know about this. As many of us know, I bought my 93 TT with 150K from ThePartsTrader.com via ebay. The car came in incomplete, and I've spent MUCH time fixing it up. That wasn't what inspired me to finally leave this feedback. My car was sold to me as a rebuilt salvage vehicle, so here's the kicker.

Yesterday I replaced my passenger airbag cover because mine was warped. Turns out Roberto Santiago sold me a car with NO AIRBAGS. He plugged everything back in, but both sides have NO AIRBAGS! How unethical and low can you get?

Now I know people will say "you should've checked the vehicle" and all that jazz. But it was bought from FL and shipped to me in MD. I didn't check it, and I dealt with all the other stuff, no complaints, because I knew that I never checked the car so I didn't have much room for complaining. But when you neglect to replace the airbags and sell a completely rebuilt car without them, there's something wrong with your code of ethics. I sure hope no one disagrees with this.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, yes they mostly are, but through e-bay they've sold several vehicles. They had sold like 5 before mine. I'm not sure if they sold any after it, but Robert was trying to get into the business of buying salvage cars, fixing them up, and reselling.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Mark,

Oh okay, that makes more sense then. LOL I thought you were bashing a classifieds websites, that'd be like me buying a Supra off autotrader, find out it was a scam, and badmouth autotrader. But you never know, there is some retarded customers out there.

Good luck and I'll definantely let people know about your problem with them if they mention the company.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I have bought parts from there and haven't had a problem....................

sorry about your situation though..........it is the worst feeling when u feel u were taken advantage of

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh, well if you buy parts THROUGH them, it prob won't be a problem, but buying from ROBERTO SANTIAGO, who I believe owns a part of the company, WILL possibly be a problem, as it was for me. :( Don't worry, I wrote him a very detailed e-mail and asked him to respond.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
You bought a salvage title car and are complaining about it not being put back together properly ? I think if your tore your car down you might find many more issues, the idea behind salvage vehicles is making a quick buck on skimping on many of the parts and selling the vehicle for less than what a normal vehicle would have gone for.

ThePartsTrader.com itself is a great vehicle for buying and selling parts, I've bought from there for the past 6-7 years with no issues (they are more geared towards hondas however). I think you should change the title to the individuals name, as your sale and the business he runs really have no connection when it comes to the transaction at hand.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Mark, sorry to hear about this :( But I have to agree with what was said above. Salvaged titled cars will always have their issues. This is why they sell for less than a clean title one. I’d bet too, that upon further inspection you will find more “rigged” parts/repairs.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeh guys I definitely agree that salvage cars are going to come in improperly put together. Adding it all up, I've spent 100+ hours fixing all the stuff that was improperly put back together.

I guess OneLove wasn't wearing glasses or something, because I obviously stated that I couldn't complain about the other stuff, because yes, a salvage title car IS going to have cut-corners (and my car has had MANY) all over it. However, I don't think neglecting to put in something that could easily save someone's life is acceptable. I've had so many cut corners to fix on this car, but I don't have a problem with all that. I was prepared for all that. Just like I said. If ANYTHING should be put back together CORRECTLY (or atleast noted that it is MISSING by the seller), is the factory restraint and SRS system. Goes without saying the motor and tranny and suspension, obviously.

I think all in all, if I were told in the beginning that the car doesn't have airbags, I still would have bought it, no problem. I'd just have installed them once I got the car. But nothing was mentioned to me about this, and that's where the problem comes in. I thought my last 10k miles driving around in my car were safe.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
Yeh guys I definitely agree that salvage cars are going to come in improperly put together. Adding it all up, I've spent 100+ hours fixing all the stuff that was improperly put back together.

I guess OneLove wasn't wearing glasses or something, because I obviously stated that I couldn't complain about the other stuff, because yes, a salvage title car IS going to have cut-corners (and my car has had MANY) all over it. However, I don't think neglecting to put in something that could easily save someone's life is acceptable. I've had so many cut corners to fix on this car, but I don't have a problem with all that. I was prepared for all that. Just like I said. If ANYTHING should be put back together CORRECTLY (or atleast noted that it is MISSING by the seller), is the factory restraint and SRS system. Goes without saying the motor and tranny and suspension, obviously.

I think all in all, if I were told in the beginning that the car doesn't have airbags, I still would have bought it, no problem. I'd just have installed them once I got the car. But nothing was mentioned to me about this, and that's where the problem comes in. I thought my last 10k miles driving around in my car were safe.
Problem is here in Florida they require reciepts for the airbags from what I know. So you've got a 15k car that would require 2k in airbags from Toyota, this is obviously the first corner they are going to cut when it comes to saving $$$$ (used airbags usually aren't an option when it comes to a Salvage title car either).

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think there is a moral issue here if not legal. Suppose the car was in an accident and someone was severly injured or killed. I'm not one for frivilous lawsuits but if it was my car and the unthinkable happened where the airbag would have done some good, I'd sue him for failing to disclose the airbags were removed. This is a safety issue, not a cosmetic one. And isn't it illegal to remove airbags? Passive restraints were federal law the last I heard. It's one thing if you do it yourself like replacing the stearing wheel. You made the decision to take the risk, but Mark did not. Someone made the decision for him. Salage title or not, I'd be a little pissed. No one dissasembles a car to see if the air bags are there when buying.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^ THANK YOU. I am glad someone sees where I'm coming from! And you're right, there's a lot of stuff that was easy to see wasn't there or in bad shape. Seeing if the airbags are there or not, well not everyone normally does that when buying. It's an issue of morality.

·
Low Mile ALPINE--11,000
500 Posts
I deal with slavage cars...fix them and sell them. BUT I would never not put bags in the car, thats just crazy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
im with mark that is some straight up bullshit id be hella freakin pissed I never buy a salvaged car if i had a salvaged GS400 when i crashed i wouldnt be typing now
its like buying a car without seatbelts and driving it back from a different state
but in the case of an airbag you dont even know that you are going to die
not having a seatbelt you know hey i dont have a seatbelt on this is bad if i get into an accident im going to be much worse off than with having one on
you dont have X-ray vision to see if theres a airbag behind there
I would want to sue the dude if that was me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts