Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· hmmmm
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after years of wanting a Supra, I finally got one. 1993 TT auto targa top. Black, tan and black interior. Heres a mod list copied from the sale ad here on SF. I'll get that outta the way, post up a pic, then ask my "I just got a Supra" questions and give a little glimpse into my dream car purchase, lol. It's long, but, just think, I had to actually live it, lol. :doh:

hks fmic
hks ssq bov
greddy intake
rmm downpipe
greddy cat-back
greddy profec b boost controller
turbo xs manual boost controller on #1 turbo set at 14.5 psi.
apex-i safc
e-ttc switch
blitz 2 turbo timer and boost guage
greddy strut bar
tein h tech springs ( ride exactly like stock only lower .5" ) ((no, they don't, lol))

Here it is in NYC on my way home. Parked next to my buddies bike.

Onto some questions about this car/setup....

The seller, smg944, has proved to be rather bullshitty, if thats a word, and, is rather misleading, so before anyone says "ask the seller".... I stopped trusting the seller.

Heres why:

(from sale ad): the car is top notch and in excellent condition in and out. she runs and drives great and is extremely smooth.

OK, the tires had 0 tread left. I mean, not even low tread. NO tread. 100% smooth like a drag slick. (I'll have pics when I get my 760's put on this Monday). He knew I was driving 1000 miles home with the car, and it would have been nice knowing there was 0 tread on the tires. It was so bad, that in Va, on my way from Rhode Island to Tennessee, I had to stop at a Firestone and attempt getting new tires because it was raining and I was sliding all over the highway. Unfortunately, I had to wait the rain out since he didn't give me the lug key. :stickpoke (in his defense, he mailed it to me, but still.... didn't help my drive home).

Also, "drives great and is extremely smooth" WTF? The car pulled BAD to the right. My shoulder and left bicep hurt after a few hours of wrestling the wheel straight on the highway. Thank god Firestone was able to do an alignment. But, that front right wheel is still F'ed and I think it goes beyond the shredded tire which he said was the cause of the pull.

After a coupler blew tonight, at stock boost since I turned off the boost controller because I want it professionally tuned, I had to take off the ENTIRE right side of the FMIC kit just to fix this issue. And, the wheel studs were bent and cross threaded, and there is a wheel spacer, and I got 2, MAYBE 3 turns to fully tighten those lugs, so, thats what I'm guessing is causing the issue with the right pull and tire shredding, not "auto cross racing" like I was told. The car vibrates pretty bad too, wheel shake, which is pretty much the opposite of "extremely smooth." :liar:

Some other issues with this "top notch gem" of a car..... besides the tires being smooth as a drag slick, the brakes sucking and needing to be changed, horrible alignment, vibrating (I sound like my wrangler on mud tires) and a bad pull to the right, not just from being lowered, bent and cross threaded wheel studs, the arm rest is broken and falls off, rear right tire rubs the fender, side marker bulbs unplugged, missing hatch panel, missing lug key, whipers falling apart, turn signal arm sticks, missing peg to hold the floor mat in place, weird rubber pealing dash and console. This is no gem. And I was told this is as nice as they get. Well, not in my book.

The good news..... I must have a much different idea of "top notch." I like my cars, especially this one, to actually be top notch. And when I say top notch, I mean it. The car will be basically rebuilt to bring it back to its original glory. No worries, I'm bringing this one back and doing it right.

Now I'm sure some might be asking "if it had so many issues, why did you buy it?" Simple. I was told it was mint, a gem, top notch, not gonna find a cleaner Supra. I took 4 days off work, drove over 2,000 miles after totalling my Jeep, to finally, after all these years buy my dream car. I was not told of ANY issues with the car before I was actually IN the vehicle, so after getting my hopes up, driving over 900 miles to RI, I wasn't about to let my dream car slip away and come back to Tennessee in my Kia rental car. I got it for a good price, now I know why, but I will put the money I saved on the sale, into the car and bring it back to perfect.

Anyways, onto my few questions.....

The interior dash and console panels..... Where the driver vents, radio controls, ash tray, gauges, window controls, etc are.... is that coated in some rubber type crap from the factory? It was pulling fuzz off my scrubs on my way to work, I was sticking to it with my left knee, and it just peels right off if you rub against it. Is this factory? I was told it was. Hard to believe, but thought I'd ask.

With the HKS FMIC.... does that plastic, I believe coolant overflow, need to be relocated for the best fitment of the kit? Seems like that was very much in the way and everything would piece together perfectly if that was relocated.

With 18x8 front 18x10 rear bsa 215 eagle rock wheels, do you need longer wheel studs and maybe open ended lugs? Theres a spacer also, and, it seems like 1 or 2 turns and you're already tightened down on the lugs. I'd feel more comfortable with a few more turns....

e-ttc switch. Can anyone tell me exactly where the wires go so I can remove this crap? I find no use in losing low end torque and gaining lag. Seems silly, I heard some like it, but, I don't. Just not sure where to trace the switch wires to.

Maybe this is a common Supra thing, but, having the stock BOV and an HKS SSQ.... is that ok? Not sure either way, but I've just never personally seen a stock BOV and an aftermarket like the SSQ being used at the same time.

In closing, I'm too thrilled to actually own my dream car to be too upset about the issues and false representation of the car. I almost laugh every time I drive it and vibrate down the road while wrestling with the wheel to keep straight and think "rides extremely smooth" lol. This thread was more of a "hi, this is my car, having these issues, had these questions" more than a complain thread although it may not seem that way. I'll keep this thread updated as I begin my build. Getting new wheel studs, lugs, tires, and brakes this Monday, and having a new stereo and Viper alarm done on Friday. Also planning on getting rid of the mirror tint and doing something a little darker all around. Will be heading to Chicago to my friends shop and having it professionally tuned hopefully in the next few weeks. Have to get a new air filter, oil change, and normal tune up stuff also. Will most likely get new suspension soon too. Well, thats my story so far. Guess I was in a venting mood after reinstalling an HKS FMIC kit on the side of a highway for 7 hours in pitch black. :fruit:

One more thing, I do plan on searching for my answers also, I've been around for a while, I know the drill, just thought I'd put my issues and questions down so anyone who has some input could give me a hand while I search around for some answers also.

· ***TOP SECRET***
146 Posts
The interior dash and console panels..... Where the driver vents, radio controls, ash tray, gauges, window controls, etc are.... is that coated in some rubber type crap from the factory? It was pulling fuzz off my scrubs on my way to work, I was sticking to it with my left knee, and it just peels right off if you rub against it. Is this factory? I was told it was. Hard to believe, but thought I'd ask.

I think what your talking about is the way the dash feels, in the older MKIV's the dash was very prone to scratches from keys under the ignition, passengers who are retarded and can't control their hands, etc. the fuzz might be from the air vents if the car has been sitting around for a while and the a/c hasn't been used

With the HKS FMIC.... does that plastic, I believe coolant overflow, need to be relocated for the best fitment of the kit? Seems like that was very much in the way and everything would piece together perfectly if that was relocated.

I know on the greddy kit, it does need to be relocated. It went next to the battery and the battery tray with a metal piece for it to slide down on.

With 18x8 front 18x10 rear bsa 215 eagle rock wheels, do you need longer wheel studs and maybe open ended lugs? Theres a spacer also, and, it seems like 1 or 2 turns and you're already tightened down on the lugs. I'd feel more comfortable with a few more turns....

It would be a good idea if you are planning on running those wheels on the car, it sounds like they are not the right offset for the car and that's why the spacers are on there. If the spacers are the bolt in kind, make sure they are centered properly otherwise it will cause a really bad vibration like the tires are out of balance.

e-ttc switch. Can anyone tell me exactly where the wires go so I can remove this crap? I find no use in losing low end torque and gaining lag. Seems silly, I heard some like it, but, I don't. Just not sure where to trace the switch wires to.

Have no clue on that one, sorry

Maybe this is a common Supra thing, but, having the stock BOV and an HKS SSQ.... is that ok? Not sure either way, but I've just never personally seen a stock BOV and an aftermarket like the SSQ being used at the same time.

It should be fine, they are both trying to relieve pressure, if you plan on running high ammounts of boost in the future, like a single setup or something, it might be a good idea to get two BOV's anyways and put one in the intake side and one on the exhaust side of the car, but that's just an idea for later

· hmmmm
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I may take a video of what I'm talking about, because I just can't see it being like this. If I take my nail and scrape the dash, I'll have black paint under my fingers. What about the fuzz. I mean my leg was sticking to this weird dash paint and it was pulling fuzz off my scrub pants, lol.

Looks like I'm takin the car apart and reinstalling this FMIC kit the right way once I get some more hose clamps in.

· serbian by blood!!!
3,545 Posts
yeah thats factory 93-96, you can buy new dash pieces or restore the ones you got

look into exterior , interior, and detailing tells you how to restore em

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.