Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Supra
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I am getting a lot of work done on my '93 Supra, automatic, Premier Edition (if that makes a difference). It started when I needed the speedometer fixed (see '93 Supra needs repair in Jacksonville, FL). I found someone locally (http://www.BakerBuiltGarage.com) who has been working hard on the car. So far I am impressed!

One of the things I want to do is replace the audio system - head unit and all speakers. I searched this forum but everything posted seems old. And, this is not something I swill tackle myself.

I could use advice on systems people really like. Brands I am interested in are Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer for head unit, and Polk Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood for speakers. But I am not wed to these brands.

I also need to know the speaker sizes - I believe I can use 6.5" for front door and rear seat, but I think I will need adapters. I looked through Crutchfield, but that site does not have info on the size of the tweeters or available options.

Also, what about the back center - is that 6x9?

And, the original system had an amp under the car seat. My current Pioneer does not. Will the head units be sufficient for me to not need a separate amp? I do not intend on blasting out all the cars around me like some people do on the road.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Larry

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,779 Posts
There's an excellent, recent thread on double-din head units here: Double din. Sony makes a nice line of matte black head units (shown in that thread) that match our dash style nicely.

Front speakers are 4" IIRC, but most of us have removed the factory unit and replaced it with a 6.5" mounting plate. You can find these on the forum here, and on Amazon.

Rear speakers are 6.5" IIRC.

Tweeters aren't replacable without pulling the dash.

"Back center" subwoofer is 5x7.

As far as an amp, you don't need one...music will play from a head unit with sufficient built-in power. But most of us enjoy the better sound that comes from an amp (or 2).

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Supra
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate the advice and the link - that thread was helpful. I will probably go with one of the Sony head units - they have new ones now - XAV-AX5000, 5500 and 7000 plus others in the 8000 series.

Can I replace the front door speakers without replacing the tweeters? If so do I have to use component speaker (without without built in tweeter)?

How important is it to have the same brand amp, speakers and/or head unit?

Lastly, can you be more specific where to find the mounting plates for frint speakers if I make them 6.5"?

Thanks again...

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,779 Posts
Can I replace the front door speakers without replacing the tweeters?
Yes.

If so do I have to use component speaker (without without built in tweeter)?
No. You can totally abandon the dash tweeters and put a full-range speaker in the door. You'll probably want to run you own speaker wires to the door. In the stock system, the amp was the crossover (had it's own output wires for the tweeters).

How important is it to have the same brand amp, speakers and/or head unit?
Not at all important. Not even a consideration really. For example, my head unit is Sony, amp is JL Audio, and speakers are Infinity. JL Audio doesn't make head units; neither does Infinity.

Lastly, can you be more specific where to find the mounting plates for frint speakers if I make them 6.5"?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0UY05M

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Supra
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

No. You can totally abandon the dash tweeters and put a full-range speaker in the door. You'll probably want to run you own speaker wires to the door. In the stock system, the amp was the crossover (had it's own output wires for the tweeters).
Thanks for the tip. I am not doing the installation so I will be sure to mention this.

Not at all important. Not even a consideration really. For example, my head unit is Sony, amp is JL Audio, and speakers are Infinity. JL Audio doesn't make head units; neither does Infinity.
Very good to know.

I appreciate the link... Ordered!

Now it is time to figure out which head unit and speakers, and whether to get an amp or not. I am leaning towards the Sony's. Hard to choose without hearing them. I will have to go somewhere to hear.

Thanks again.

By the way... I realize I probably posted this in the wrong section of the forum (should have been I.C.E. and Lighting section). Is there a way to move it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts