319 Posts
I'm so disappointed with Bavarian Motor Works :(

·
Registered
4,951 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I like the sound. Unfortunately, I think the E46 looks better just because it looks that much meaner than a standard 3-series. They should have made the E92 look just a tad more aggressive. I'm just not as excited about this M3 as I was when the E46 M3 came out. :(
Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one, though. :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
It really looks like the hi-po inline 6's are dying slowly but surely. What a shame :(

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
Sounds good, and looks composed and nice and flat out there. Whats the problem?

You can only push an N/A inline six so far, keep it so high strung, and pass emissions and survive till warranty is over. Werent the last M3 sixes blowing up when they just came out?? I say the V8 is just an evolutionary leap into something better.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Yep, BMW has pushed their inline 6's as far as the can go (reliably speaking for the domestic market).

The V8 was the most logical choice with all the new high powered/re-engineered opposition from Audi, Cadillac, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz alike.

I love the sound of that motor, but the super angular body is just not "cutting" it for me. The 2000 M5 was my most favorite BMW street car to date. It just looked aggressive with its stance (fender buldges, hood, front and rear bumpers...not to mention in a fat 4 door package).
Reference picture:

(I remember the first time I saw the 2000 E39 M5 at the Memphis auto show. I about pooped in my pants. I have a poster of it still. Its a car I told myself I will find and buy when I am 40 and in a mid-life crisis...It was the first car I ever recognized the "deep dish" wheels on. The stance of that M5 in person is just phenominal. Pictures dont do those justice at all)

Its probably a really nice car. But I would take a used high end exotic sports car for the same price anyday over the new BMW's. They are just too TECHY.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yep, BMW has pushed their inline 6's as far as the can go (reliably speaking for the domestic market).

The V8 was the most logical choice with all the new high powered/re-engineered opposition from Audi, Cadillac, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz alike.
Then how come TVR can make a 400+ hp NA inline 6? We also have these cool new things called turbochargers LOL No one said it had to be NA. BMW came around on the 335 (although I think the 335 is underpowered stock for a modern turbo engine, its got decent potential from what Ive seen.) I dont think BMW is pushing it that far yet. Porsche makes 400 from the NA GT3...yes, its not an inline, but the inline has just as much or more potential for power.

BMW is just pussing out and going with the easier and "modern" solution. Its the same reason they've gone with generic styling and have released multiple lines of SUV's...they are becoming less for enthusiasts and more for the contemporary masses.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts