Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the new Borg Warner S368 and S364 SX-R turbos yet? The new 68mm turbo seems like a nice competitor to the 6870 or EFR9280 while the 64mm is a competitor to the 6466. Both their compressor maps seem to flow lower than their horsepower ratings like how Garrett rates their G-series turbo. Borg also mentions that they have a lower rotor inertia so they spool faster.

Font Line Parallel Slope Screenshot

· Garage Queen Club
3,471 Posts
I did, still working on it. 30F out, been a tough month to get her out and tune. I'll be updating my other post once the data rolls in and some real world track feedback, but crickets right now, sorry. I did choose the 63mm version and comparison will be against a 60mm unit. He's looking at 64~68 which is a few steps above.

My exact new unit to test is:
BorgWarner S363SX-E 8776 63mm turbo, Airwerks .91a/r divided 76mm turbine 78.5 lb/min flow, 3.5" marmon turbine exit

I haven't seen any info on SXR, barely anything on google searches nor forums nor vendors. This just get released?

· Registered
660 Posts
Pretty cool. Will the 68mm version actually flow more than an S369? Wonder what pricing will be. Just asked my parts guy and he said he doesnt even see these in price book yet.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the compressor map it will flow more than the S369 and will do so more efficiently as well which is pretty surprising because the exducer and inducer are smaller. Though I'm not sure why they rate it at 1100hp like the S372 even though the S372 flows more according to the map.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My exact new unit to test is:
BorgWarner S363SX-E 8776 63mm turbo, Airwerks .91a/r divided 76mm turbine 78.5 lb/min flow, 3.5" marmon turbine exit
Borg also released the S258SXR which is rated for 775hp. So pretty close to the S363SXE I wonder how they would compare to each other on a 2J. It's a lot smaller in turbine and compressor size so I wonder how much more responsive it would be than the S363. I assume if you push the S258 to the limit it would start losing power up top whereas the S363 would keep it to redline. I'm trying to convince my friend to test it on his car but I'm hoping someone else would be the guinea pig for these new turbos hah.

· Garage Queen Club
3,471 Posts

S258SXR chokes at 67lb/min at 2.6 ratio
S363SXE chokes at around 73lb/min at 2.6 ratio.

Their Matchbot software shows my engine pushing ~75lb/min at 8krpm 23lb boost. I couldn't run the 258SXR. I've run a SX360 for years and kept blowing up the turbo due to heat in road racing.

Probably want to compare apples:

S364SXR (they don't list a 63mm) at 2.6 ratio chokes at 83lb/min
S364SXE at 2.6 chokes at 78lb/min

That's a fairly nice bump in flow, but all the compressor/turbine dimensions are slightly different. I would be most interested in spool or boost threshold when choosing one for road course. They claim SXR

• Low rotor inertia (quicker spooling)
• Forged milled compressor wheel
• Optimized compressor stage aerodynamics

while SXE is

• Forged milled compressor wheel
• Optimized compressor stage aerodynamics

No mention of what they mean by low rotor inertia. They're using the same turbine wheels and turbine housings in both based on part numbers and dimensions. The compressor wheels and housings are different, and 'smaller' on the SXR.

Since they aren't available anywhere for purchase either. Unfortunately, 63mm is already too big for my goals, and SXR is either 58mm or 64mm. Hopefully someone gets one.

· Registered
660 Posts
I previously ran an s369 with divided manifold and 1.0 housing for 5 years and made 960whp at 38psi on a mustang dyno. Would love to try the new s368sxr if it was out reasonably soon as I need my s369 rebuilt for next season anyways as I'm refreshing my motor over the winter anyways.

Added spool gain if any, and better flow are benefits.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm guessing its because of the smaller compressor exducer. Less inertia if there's less material on the outside. that's my assumption but I guess we will see when people start buying these. If only these came out last year when I got my 9280.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
S258SXR chokes at 67lb/min at 2.6 ratio
S363SXE chokes at around 73lb/min at 2.6 ratio.

Their Matchbot software shows my engine pushing ~75lb/min at 8krpm 23lb boost. I couldn't run the 258SXR. I've run a SX360 for years and kept blowing up the turbo due to heat in road racing.

Probably want to compare apples:

S364SXR (they don't list a 63mm) at 2.6 ratio chokes at 83lb/min
S364SXE at 2.6 chokes at 78lb/min

That's a fairly nice bump in flow, but all the compressor/turbine dimensions are slightly different. I would be most interested in spool or boost threshold when choosing one for road course. They claim SXR
yeah now that I look at the 258 map i can see that its really more suited for higher boost. I'm curious why you didn't go for the EFR if you do road racing. The lack of water cooling on the Airwerks definitely is a disadvantage for that. Or maybe bump up in turbine size for less back pressure.

· Garage Queen Club
3,471 Posts
~$2k vs ~$800

1 - 13 of 13 Posts