Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently replaced my stock pads/rotors with new stock parts. And have a major sqeal. I don't believe its just because they are new. I believe the squel is from the rear right rotor. I took the rotor off at inspected but i didn't see anything wrong what could it be? It doesnt sqeal with light pedal pressure just more when i'm almost at a complete stop. I don't see anything hitting/scraping the rotor. Could it be the brakes aren't bleed correctly? what am i overlooking here? Any input would be appreciated THANKS -Tim

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Did you "bed" the brakes? There's generally a manufacturer's recommended process for doing this. It usually consists of a few hard stops followed by some driving to cool them off. Don't take that as gospel though as it may be different for each manufacturer. With the load th erear brakes carry I'm not sure how much bedding they might need either.

Often disk brakes will come with some compound to be placed on the back of the pad to prevent squealing by absorbing vibrations - did your's have this? Did you use it? Not sure how the Supra E-brake adjusts but many rear disk cars have to have the piston screwed in with a tool in order to back out the adjustment made for wear on the previous pads. IF the Supra uses this method and you didn't screw the piston in that could be causing the pad to drag on the rotor.

That's all I can think of...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, yes i did use that grease in between the metal pieces. Its so cold in New England...i hate to remove the damn rotor again...gotta find a garage...

·
Very Senior Member
9,960 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I just had a dealer replace all my rotors and pads (I just didn't have time to do it).
He said they would squeal some for a while, then stop (squealing).
I hope so, they are squealing now - but different than when the rotors were worn out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few people have told me this....i believe its too loud to be normal...i'll have to drive around and slam on the brakes a few times....maybe they just need some wear??? I've put maybe 500 miles already..

A

·
0 Posts
My brakes were squealing because they were all worn down(rotors). They were .075 low!!! damn. I put on new rotors and pads all around. All OEM. No squeaks . I put those little anti-sqeal shims in. That sqealing I am told sometimes is the pad vibrating very rapidly. It could be something jammed between the pad and rotor, especially if you live up in the north east where they put down that nasty road salt. Good luck and hose everything down with brake cleaner. It took me about 100 miles to really break them in. Alex 93tt 6spd hartopper

·
OG
754 Posts
SilverTT-

the toyota dealer threw in a new set of factory pads and rotors right before they sold me my supra.

my rear brakess would squeal like crazy under light pedal pressure usually at 1 mph. especially when cold. and it was loud. i had to double check the rotors and pads because i could not believe a new set could be so loud.

anyway, i wouldnt worry about it.

after 1000 miles of driving my rear brakes seem to have settled in nicely. no more squeal at all.

give it a few more miles...

according the the techs at toyota, it should go away once the pads have bedded in properly.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My rears squealed before and now squeal after replacing both rotors and all pads. They only do it at light pedal pressure. I have always considered it the price to pay for decent brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You may have overlooked the anti-squeal shims. I had this exact same problem a month ago. Dumbasses at the shop decided to throw out my shims so I had to order a new set and it totally eliminated the problem.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
My rears squeal after new pads and rotors (OEM). I did use anti squeal compound between the shim and the pad, but the two shims were so glued together I couldn't get them apart for new compound between them. I'm convinced this is the problem. I'm going to take them out and either get the apart with solvent or take measurements to cut my own shims and try again. I'll let you know...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts