Supra Forums banner

New: can I get a mkIII to 12.0-12.3 for under $10k

1K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  jz_killa_t68 
G
#1 ·
Ideally with all bolt-up parts (i.e. no major fabrication required), and assuming I do all work myself. I'd really like to be able to do suspension with that $10k too.

Please list what path you would take to get to those times while staying within that budget.

I come from a history of 2nd gen RX7 modding, Audi S4 modding, and I'm interested in getting a go-fast weekend cruiser.

#2 ·
MKIII FAQ

With that amount of money you can do it. But, you're going to be pushing the limits of the block when you come to that HP. The biggest thing with the 7M is that you should rapair any known problems you have first, then upgrade.

Hell for that price, you could get a 1JZ running a small single and be there EASILY. Just my thoughts.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

G
#3 ·
BigTSetter said:
MKIII FAQ

With that amount of money you can do it. But, you're going to be pushing the limits of the block when you come to that HP. The biggest thing with the 7M is that you should rapair any known problems you have first, then upgrade.

Hell for that price, you could get a 1JZ running a small single and be there EASILY. Just my thoughts.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.
I read the FAQ over, and found a lot of good info, but thought that the upgrade path might be a little different if I'm going the whole way at one time (i.e. stand alone FMS vs. a piggyback if I know I'm upgrading the turbo, etc). Also, there are no indications for price on there.

I'm interested in the 1JZ conversion, but does everything just bolt right up? I'm good with tools and can get most things done to a car that I need to, but I've never tried an engine swap before. If this is straightforward, where and how much can I get a 1JZ engine for? What model small single are you referring to? If it'd be easy to do it for $10k, sign me up!

Thanks for your help

#4 ·
Poke aronud the 1JZ/2JZ Swap section. You'll find TONS!!! of info there. I Can answer most of your questions, but in your case it would be better for you yourself to do some looking around just to see what you're really getting into.

If you can't find what you're looking for, THEN you can contact me via. EMAIL!!! Not PM.

Bryan
BigTSetter@hotmail.com

#5 ·
No need for a 1JZ conversion. I'm running low 12's at close to 120mph with a stock internaled 7M. About $5500 dollars including the clutch got me there. The bolt-on SP61GT turbo and all the supporting fuel, exhaust, and electronics will get you there quite easily.

Just use common sence and make sure your car is healthy and your cylinder head is torqued down to 75ft pounds before you mod.

#7 ·
You can get the MK3 to run 12.0-12.3 with 2000$ in mods. Some members have done that.
60-1 upgrade on stock turbo from PT - 450$
set of 550 injectors - 300$
afpr -200$
255lph walbro - 100$
EBC - 300$
safc - 200$
spec stage 3 - 450$

There was a member who ran a 12.01 with very similar mods. You'll need a good condition MK3 to start with. Also you'd be pushing the upgraded CT pretty far to run low 12's , but it can be done. You can also take some weight off to make it easier.

G
#9 ·
Ok, I read over quite a bit of info on the 1JZ swap, and it sounds like a lot of trouble with the wiring connection mess and tranny mounting issues.

Think I'll shoot for a 7M GTE with upgrades. I guess my next question is - would I be better off upgrading the turbo (assume money isn't TOO much of a concern) to the SP61GT that was mentioned, or stick with the CT26? Also wouldn't I need an upgraded intercooler or does the stock unit flow well enough? If I did upgrade the turbo, could I use the stock fuel management system (with a possible SAFC or something to piggyback)? Also, with the 550s, won't I need a Lexus 430 MAF to disallow boost cut?

Whew, I'm learning a lot, but I'm full of questions. Just trying to get an idea of whether it would be better (from reliability and performance standpoint) to upgrade the turbo or just have the stocker clipped.

Thanks again to all.

#10 ·
Man give me 10K, and I can build 2 600hp+ motors. Pistons 600.00 rodds 900.00 bearings both rod, and mains 120.00, oil pump 150.00 toyota off ebay, crank gind 100.00, block bore 180.00, deck 100.00, head cut polished reconditioned 600.00 fully balanced 200.00, metal hg 200.00, 720 injectors 425.00., any good turbo 1000.00, manifold 400.00, waste gate 150.00.

#12 ·
intake exhaust is bout another 1k if you do it right but yea its all there sp61gt, ebc, 550s, lex, walbro, afpr, ic pipes, ic, some fuel comp and tuning and bam.

#18 ·
Speaking of which, wasn't there a guy in the Canadian section that pretty much did that? I remeber folks talking about it about a year, maybe two ago. Cut out chunks from the car, got it down to like 2600 pounds or something retarded like that. Ran like 12s flat on 16psi, no nitrous. Dropping the hammer at 6700 with slicks.

Shoot, I'm gonna go use that search button now...

#22 ·
outofstep said:
Found it. Dude's handle is REGMAN. "Stock motor, stock turbo, just gutted to hell." 12.3 @ 114.82
I wish I got to see that car, not sure if he still has it.

Anyways, I WILL hit an 11 sec ET and make 500whp on PUMP gas. And do it relaibly, for less than $5000cdn. :)

#23 ·
what about a nice drag suspension? nice and soft in the rear to allow some good weight transfer...could help times quite a bit...

#24 ·
"so whats the limit(reliable point) of SP61GT with pump gas? let say 94octane."

I wouldn't run any more than 18-19 psi on 94 octane. Should get you at least in the low 400whp range on a healthy engine. Of course the turbo itself can push much higher boost without much effort, but only on race gas if you want the engine to live.

#25 · (Edited)
MRSUPRA said:
"so whats the limit(reliable point) of SP61GT with pump gas? let say 94octane."

I wouldn't run any more than 18-19 psi on 94 octane. Should get you at least in the low 400whp range on a healthy engine. Of course the turbo itself can push much higher boost without much effort, but only on race gas if you want the engine to live.
well, this should also depend on how much compression you have, and how big your intercooler is, and the car's state of tune

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.