Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought my 4th MKIII, 87 Turbo 5spd. When I bought her she ran good for her age and had just had the HG replaced not more then 8 months ago by the previous owner. When I first test drove it i heard some ticking that I marked up to the usual lifter chatter but now its getting worse. Betwen 2500-4500 RPMS in 1st and 2nd I get a knocking but it doesn't sound deep like i'm used to rod knock being, more high pitched but still a knock. and 3rd gear its at a higher RPM for the knock to kick in. Also when Idle no knock and when i let off the gas it goes away also so it doesn't seem entirly RPM related. Also in the morning she's hard to start takes usually takes 2 good trys and when she does start I get smoke for at least the first minute or two till she warms up. I'd say its more of a blue smoke like oil but can't really tell to well from the drivers seat. I'm thinking it might be my lifters, and dreading that it could be rod knock.. i just bought the damned thing and paid a good penny for her too. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys.

Guess i should list the little mods I do have just in case.

HKS SSQ BOV (the old BOV wouldn't hold boost and would flutter when it discharged so replaced it w/ the HKS)
Ditched the filter box and put a 3" adapter plate on w/ a K&N cone filter.
Profec B Spec II boost controller (not installed till problem is fixed)

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Could be the valve seals.

I know that after the valves seals went on my supra, the valves started ticking louder. I was paranoid about the whole rod knock issue too, but if it really was rod knock, I think my engine would have gotten worse by now since I've been running 12 psi for the past month.

My supra puffs blue smoke on startup as well, but only for the first 2-3 seconds. If your supra is puffing smoke like crazy, I'm guessing it could be your hg or bad piston rings. Your turbo seals could be bad as well.

A compression test ought to narrow things down a little more. :)

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think my turbo my be on the out and out.. when i pulled the intake to install the HKS there was alot of oil residue on the inside. Is this normal for most? also where might i be able to get a rebuild kit for the CT26. and if its valve seals is it possible to replace them w/o pulling the Head?

· Registered
1,334 Posts
IF there is oil on the intake and there is a lot of in/out, side to side play on the turbine, then that is an indication that the turbo is on it's last legs. Does it whine?

Valves stems can be replaced without removing the engine head, but I hear it is a tricky process. I'm not sure of the exact procedure, but it the search function might help you here.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hopefully this weekend i can get a chance to pull the intake and check the turbo ::crosses fingers:: and maybe get a compression test. but like i said. it was replaced less then 8 months ago. But still doesn't help explain the "knock" and it really is a random knock. Mostly at higher RPMS but soon as i let off the gas it usually goes away. And also on cold start it'll make the same noise for about 5 seconds then goes away. Any more insight would be appreciated and thinks LordLo for the help so far I'll do a search morrow and see what i turn up.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you thinking just pull the engine and replace the bearings? i'm just worried that if i do pull it that it'll be more then the rod bearings. never replaced the rod bearings before what should I look for to tell which one it is and what would i need to do to repair/replace the engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.