Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a spec stage 3 clutch in my car, flywheel was resurfaced, replaced all the washers, snap rings, etc. Everything is in, shifts good, but sometimes when I come to a stop, I get this jerking that feels like its coming from the driveshaft. I've only put 30 miles on the clutch so far and its in a 89 turbo. Any ideas?
thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the best word that explains what its doing. When I come to a stop I feel this jerk coming from the rear of the car. It almost feels like the clutch pedal isnt pushed all the way in and its trying to take off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just regular stops, slow down and come to a complete stop, nothing like racing to a redlight or anything. It does jerk a little on takeoff, but more if I slow down to a rolling stop and take off in 2nd gear before I come to a complete stop. It wasnt doing it with the old clutch either. I just had a parts car hauled away, but I keep the driveshaft out of it. It has about 1/2 the miles my driveshaft has on it. Should I just throw it in and see what happens. Anyway to keep the gear oil from coming out when I swap the driveshafts? Or should I just say forget it and order the aluminum.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Id get under the car first and see how much play is in that bearing. You shouldn't be able to push it up or move it around at all. It might have a little play, but mine moved about 2 inches when it was bad. Mine went bad, REAL bad. I'd do that first.

If that is the problem, then put the new one in there and give it a go. I never really wanted to spend 400 bucks on a driveshaft, so I stuck with the stocker.

Gear oil shouldnt' come out of the tranny when the DS comes out. I've replaced several and never had that issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wasnt sure about the gear oil, figured I'd better ask. I've still got the stink of gear oil in my hair from taking the tranny out, lol That bearing is the center one, in the middle of the DS, where its bolted to the car?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
supraman502 said:
wasnt sure about the gear oil, figured I'd better ask. I've still got the stink of gear oil in my hair from taking the tranny out, lol That bearing is the center one, in the middle of the DS, where its bolted to the car?
Yes sir that's the one. I put the palm of my hand on the bottom of it and tried to push up into the car. Mine almost hit the bottom of the car. Then grabbed it and moved it side to side and it moved quite a bit. My DS also had a very slight whine at 50mph and higher too. But it also had the little jerk just like you have described.

Since it wasn't doing it before the clutch was replaced, you might just want to check and retighten everything under there too and just make sure it's all nice and snug.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know for sure all the bolts are torqued down. What happened was I was in a huge hurry to get the clutch in and paid some guy to do it, took him 2 tries and 3 weeks, when I got it home it was doing the jerking, making some noise and doing some major jerking in the tranny on take off. Pulled everything apart to find out, my shim was bent to hell and he left the top 2 and 1 of the side tranny bolts completely off. So I took my time putting it back together. I'm positive everything is tight, just dont understand how the DS can be fine with the old clutch and not with the new one.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
In the amount of time that it was jerking and doing all that before you fixed it right, it could have happened. He could have taken the DS out and caused it. He could have driven it a bit himself after he did it and busted it. Without knowing exactly what happened to the car while it's not in your possession, there's no way to know what could have happened. Possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, he would have had to done it before he started, I had to sit over there 3 nights in a row and stay on his ass to get him to finish, so I was the first person to drive it. I'll put the other one in tonight and see what it does, hopefully that'll take care of it. Mine has about 250k miles on it, the one from the parts car has about 100k, lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but I can rule out that the jerking has nothing to do with the clutch?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts